Chapter Fifteen; Laugh

laugh: showing joy by a sound & expressions, caused by amusement

She came into the room like a fire on a winters day, shining up the whole damn space, not one person's eye off of that thing.

I remember how she smiled at everyone, she said hello to everyone, not one little step did she ever miss. And she laughed at everything that came out of my dirty mouth.
Her laugh.. Oh god, her laugh.

You'd suspect that an angel would laugh beautifully, peacefully, calmly, respectfully.

But lemme tell ya, I've met an angel. And that's not how an angel laughs. An angel laughs hysterically until they lay on the ground with laugh lines deeper than the Grand Canyon.

I think that's what everyone has all wrong, she wasn't very reserved. She wasn't very calm, and heavens sake, if you told that girl to relax you'd better apologize. She didn't give much mercy but yet she loved everything.

That's what brings me here to tell you what I have to say.

Gaby taught me when we were real young a secret I don't think many had the pleasure to learn.

People don't gravitate towards people who are down, they don't gravitate towards the darkness. No matter who the hell you say you are, a person wants someone at the end of the day that can make them feel elated even on the dark side of the moon.

I remember there being a woman that would go on about not having a man, about how she didn't get other women that had men all over her. But here's what I noticed: that woman was the darkest shade of jealousy & regret I have ever seen.

It was quite hard for me to understand this lesson, actually.

I learned it young, like I said, but in all realness I didn't fully understand it until the woman I loved smiled through the worst pain of her life.

Delivering her rapist's child.

Yeah, Brooks raped Gaby AND Buket.
Buket was pregnant as well.

Buket had her baby before Gaby did, Gaby ended up giving the baby to Buket to raise. She couldn't handle raising the child of someone she hated so deeply. Buket & Caleb raised the children like they made them together, so the children still don't know of their origins.

I'm sure you're wondering what happened after I woke up from passing out, well let's go on..

I woke up in a mostly empty room besides barrels, it reeked of gasoline. My feet were shoeless & my old socks were drenched in the thick substance. It was disgusting & I knew I couldn't stay in there long without passing out and dying breathing in the fumes.

I was tied to a wooden table with two belts, my stomach turned up & my head facing a giant light fixture.

"Hello?" I called out, hoping there would be a call back.
"Sadri!" Caleb O yelled from a close distance.
"Where are you?" I ask.
"I'm not sure. I'm looking down at a brown greasy floor, I think I'm.. Hanging?" He responded.

I raised my leg and banged it on the table.
"AGH!" Caleb sounded.

He was on the other side of the table.
"Man, you're below me." I said.
"You're on top of the table?" He asked.
"Yeah, what'd you think I mean?" I said.
"I don't know, just I assume we're held down by the same belts. Can you work on the top one?" He asked.

I did as he asked & wiggled the belt and tried to free myself, I went to grab the knife out of my pocket but realized Brooks had taken it.

What a dick.