Forty Four

~Taylor~

"Babe, I'd love to stay over, but I can't," Heather tried to reason with me.

"But why?" I whined again.

"Because Liah will murder me if I miss Tuesday Rice Night again," She said.

"Tuesday whatnow?" I asked, completely confused by what she ment.

"Tuesday Rice Night. Its Tuesday, we eat rice and watch reality TV," She explained.

"And its compulsory that you do this because...?" I asked.

"Have you seen Liah when she's pissed? Its like world war three, and I've blown her and the girls off like three times now," She said.

"Fiiine," I groaned, only giving in because if I didn't, I'd probably be the subject of Liah's next wrath path.

"But I'll stay tomorrow night," She compromised.

"Okay, but only if you bring pizza," I grinned.

"Deal," She agreed.

After a cute goodbye, she left.

Walking into the kitchen, I poured myself a glass of water while deciding what to do now that I was alone.

Not even five minutes later, there was a knock on the door.

Wondering who it was, I walked out of the kitchen to answer it.

My eyes widened at girl that stood in front of me.

"Bev? What are you doing here?" I asked the blonde haired, blue eyed girl that stood in front of me.

"Taylor, hi," She said.

Bev Tainton was the love of my life up until a year and a half ago. We met back in Indiana when we were twelve and then started dating when we were fifteen. Our relationship was on and off but god damn, I really loved her. We ended things for good when we broke up for the last time because she was unfaithful.

"Bev, what are you doing here?" I asked again.

"Taylor, we really need to talk," She said.

It was only just now that I realised, standing behind her legs was a blonde little boy. His big blue eyes looked up at me, probably wondering who the hell I am.

"About what?" I asked with a frown.

"Please? Its important," She pleaded.

"Okay, fine," I sighed, opening the door wider and letting her and the boy in.

It was silent for a few minutes as we sat on opposite sides of the coffee table.

"His name is Tait," She said, referring to the boy, who was still looking at me intensely with his big blue eyes.

"Bev, why are you here?" I asked, a little impatient.

"Taylor, I have to tell you something," She said.

"Tell me what?" I asked.

"When you and I ended things, I thought it would be fine, but three weeks after you left..." She trailed off.

"What? What happened after I left?" I asked.

"I found out I was pregnant."

Those six words was all it took for my whole world to basically shatter.

I looked at the boy sitting on her lap, now sipping from a sippy cup he had presumably taken from Bev's bag. He didn't look like me, more like Bev.

"He's mine?" I asked.

"Yeah," She nodded.

"What -why didn't you say anything?" I asked, suddenly feeling angry.

"I was scared. I didn't even know if you would talk to me or not," She said, sounding oddly calm about this all.

"Bev, do you realise how much you've fucked this up for me?!" I asked angrily, not caring that I had cussed in front of a child.

"Taylor, I didn't know what to do anymore! Tait needs to know his father!" She argued.
"Why after almost two years, huh?" I asked.

"I-I don't know," She said quietly. "Look, Taylor, I know that this is a lot to take in, but -" She began to say, but I cut her off.

"You have no idea how well everything is going for me. I'm doing what I love and I have an amazing girlfriend, and honestly, you may have just messed all of this up," I glared at her.

"Okay, you're angry, I get it, but please just try and understand," She pleaded.

"Please leave," I said, refusing to look at her.

"Taylor, I -" She began, but I stopped her.

"Bev, leave," I said again, sounding more agitated.

"Fine," She sighed. "But if you come around, call me," She said, putting down a piece of paper of the table and then picking the kid up and leaving my apartment.

After she left, I found myself freaking out about what she just told me.

She mothered my child. I mean, she has to be telling the truth, right? I mean, why would she lie about something like this?

Oh god! What am I supposed to tell Heather? I can hardly imagine that her reaction will be positive.

My gaze shifted to the coffee table where Bev had left her number, and next to it was the sippy cup that Tait had been drinking out of. She left it here. Suddenly an idea struck me.

Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I dialled a number I never thought I'd ever have to use.

The phone rang twice before it was answered.

"Los Angeles, California Forensic Lab, this is Andrew," The voice answered.

"Andrew, hey. It's Taylor. Taylor Caniff," I said into the receiver.

"Oh, Taylor. Good to hear from you, bud," He said.

"Look dude, I need a massive favour from you," I said, eyeing the green sippy cup.

"Okay, what's up?" He asked.

"I need you to compare some DNA for me."

**********
Biiiiiiiiitch, YOU DIDNT SEE THAT COMING, DID YOU?

#elementofsurprise

x