Twenty Four

~Carmen~

When we got back home, I headed straight to my room, not wanting to talk to anyone.

God, I feel like that girl that your mother warns you not to get involved with because she's bad news. I mean, I would never have kissed Jack if I knew Johnson liked me. Ugh, this is hell.

"Carmen? Can I come in?" Liah asked, opening the door a little.

"Yeah, come in," I said, burying myself deeper under the duvet covers.

"I brought you some rice," She said, climbing into my bed and sitting next to me.

"Thanks, Li," I said with a sigh.

"You know, it's not your fault," She said.

"I just...I feel bad about it," I said.

"Dude, you didn't know he likes you, so you're free to make-out with whoever you want," She said with a shrug.

"But Jack knew," I mumbled.

"Okay, yeah, that was sorta douchey of him," She admitted as she ate a spoon of the rice she had brought with.

"I thought that was for me," I frowned.

"Meh, too late. You snooze, you loose," She shrugged. "But seriously, you shouldn't feel bad about this whole situation. You weren't the one in the wrong."

"Thanks," I said with a small smile.

Just then her phone started ringing, and guessing by the look on her face, it was Carter (and also bc I saw the caller ID).

"Eat this, you'll feel better," She said, handing me the bowl of rice and then running out my room.

Grabbing my own phone off the bedside cupboard, I quickly typed out a whatsapp to Jack (Johnson, that is).

Me: Sorry about what happened today. I really didn't know. x

A few moments later there was a reply.

TheeJohnson: Don't worry about it. It's between Jack & I.

I decided not to reply to that message. As I was about to put my phone down, it started ringing, and just my luck, it was none other than Jack Gilinsky.

"Jack, hi," I said into the receiver.

"Hey, Carmen. Are you okay?" He asked, sounding genuinely worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said, resisting the urge to sigh. "You?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Jaw hurts a little, but I'm okay," He said with a small chuckle. "Look, I'm really sorry to have had to drag you into this mess. I just...I just needed to know how I felt about you,"

"Wait, what do you mean you needed to know how you felt about me?" I asked, utterly confused and a little bit scared to hear his answer.

"Well, that night that we kissed at Starbucks...it just made me start seeing you in a different light," He admitted.

"What do you mean?" I asked, wishing he'd stop thinking like a typical boy and elaborate more on his feelings.

"Well like...I think I like you," He said quietly.

My jaw dropped. Did Jack Gilinsky just say he likes me?

"Y-you like me?" I stuttered.

"Yeah, I do," He said. I was silent for a while, not knowing what to say. "Okay, I know its probably not what you expected me to say, but just hear me out," He said.

"A-alright."

"When Madison and I broke up, you were the first person there for me, and then we kissed and I felt something I hadn't felt in a while, but Jack already told me that he likes you, and I just didn't know what to do but in the meantime my feelings for you continued to grow and now I have no idea what to do because I really do feel something for you, but I still feel like a fucking awful friend for what I did to Jack," He spoke quickly without pausing to take a breath.

"You really feel that way about me?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah, I really do," He confirmed.

"Can...can we meet up tomorrow? You know, to like talk about all of this," I asked him.

"Yeah, I'd like that," He said. "That coffee shop on fifth avenue?" He suggested.

"Yeah, I'll be there. Nine o'clock," I said.

"Great, see you then."

"See you then, Gilinsky."

****
Beautiful picture if Carmen in the header.