Forty One

~Carmen~

"So, chipotle or MacDonalds?" I asked Jack as I drove.

We had hung out for a few hours before deciding we were hungry, but we still hadn't decided on where to go.

"Hello, earth to Gilinsky," I waved my hand in front of his face, realising that he had been zoned out.

"I'm sorry, what? What'd you say?" He asked, snapping out of his haze.

"I asked where you wanted to eat," I giggled.

"Oh, anywhere's fine. You decide," He said with a small smile.

"So Chipotle it is," I decided.

"Why not MacDonalds?" He whined with a frown.

"Because you said I could decide," I laughed.

"Fiiine, but only because I think you're cute," He said, before adding in with a small smirk, "amongst other things."

"You're such a boy," I said, laughing a bit.

As I continued to drive, I realised once again that Jack had zoned out.

"Jack, you okay?" I asked him.

"Oh, uh, yeah," He nodded, but I still wasn't convinced.

"No you're not," I said. Over the past two and a half months, I've come to know him really well and I can tell when he's not okay. "What's wrong?"

"Carmen, you know that I love you, right?" He asked, the seriousness so evident in his eyes.
"Yes..." I said slowly as I slowed down at a red light, wondering where this conversation was going.

"And you know that I'd never hurt you on purpose, right?" He said.

"Yeah, I know that," I said. "Where are you going with this?"

"I met up with Madison yesterday," He told me.

I turned my whole body to face him, and at this moment I was glad that there was something backing up the traffic because I was scared out of my mind of what he was going to say next, and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to drive.

"What? Why?" I asked nervously.

"She wanted to apologise for the way things ended between us," He said.

"Is uh, is that all?" I asked, finding myself unable to look him in the eye.

"She -" He stopped with a sigh.

"She what?" I asked, my heartbeat quickening.

"She kissed me," He said quietly.

For a moment it felt as though my world had stopped, but I was jolted back to reality by the car behind us hooting at me because the traffic had started moving.

I didn't say anything as I drove before pulling over.

"Did you kiss her back?" I asked.

"I didn't," He said. "Carmen, please look at me," He said, using his index finger to tilt my head so that I was looking at him. "Baby, I'm sorry. I swear to god I didn't kiss her back."

"This was my worst fear," I said quietly as a tear unwillingly fell down my cheeks. "That I wouldn't be good enough for you."

"Don't you dare say that!" He said. "If anything, I'm the one who isn't good enough for you."

"You promise you didn't kiss her back?" I asked, wiping away the tears so that my vision wasn't blurry.

"I promise I didn't," He said, taking my hands into his. "Carmen, you're probably the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I'd be stupid to give it all up for someone as menial as Madison."

"Promise?" I asked.

"I promise," He said, looping our pinkies.

Looking into his dark eyes, I could tell that he was telling the truth due to the sincerity in them.

"Okay. I believe you," I said.

"Good," He smiled at me before the familiarity of his lips was felt against mine.

"Right, so where are we off to? Chipotle or MacDonalds?" I asked with a teasing grin.

"MacDonalds," He said, returning the grin.

"Okay, Chipotle it is," I said with a laugh, causing him to whine about it.

"Me and you forever," He whispered before kissing my temple.

"Me and you forever," I repeated with a smile on my face.

Me and him forever. ♡

******
Today is Teresa's birthday therefore there shall be double updates. The girls have been waiting for this for like forever now. :''D

Much love. x