Chapter 16

"What?", he mumbled and moved a bit back and slowly opened his eyes, facing me now.

"You talked about... going away and... love."

"I talked?", he said, getting red all over his face. "What did I exactly say?"

"Well. You said something like 'Don't go' and 'I love you'. Have you had a nightmare?"

He didn't answer me for a few seconds. Maybe he tries to remember his dream or something like that. His face is now looking like a tomato. He's really embarrassed I think, but, who wouldn't be? Whatever you dream, what you say, is nearly always the truth. But. Who does he love? Who doesn't he want to leave? Who did he dream about?

"Well. I dreamt of the girl I'm in love with. Yeah. I really like her and... It's like the first time I dreamt about her. I don't really remember what happened but... Yes, it was a nightmare."

His words came quickly and hurt a lot. I expected that he's in love with someone. But he never told me. It's like a slap in the face. Or right in my stomach. Like you fall from a skyscraper with 150 floors and land on the hard asphalt. But I guess, this wouldn't be anything against this feeling right now. Maybe it's a stupid cheap girl he knows through a party when he was drunk.

I know it's stupid to like him, maybe even to love him, but it simply couldn't be other way. It's like you have to fall in love with him. Everything is so perfect to me. His eyes, his smile, his laugh, his way of talking, his sense of humor, when he sleeps, his walk. Even his imperfection seems to be pure perfection. He's like drug you cannot stop taking.

And now, he breaks my heart just right after I thought it's perfect. I slightly begin to think that a friendship between me and him just can't work. I cannot be best friends with the guy I'm in love with. It simply doesn't work.

"Do you want to talk about it?", I said to my surprise. "I mean. About her. You haven't ever mentioned her to me."

"Well. She's... unbelieveable beautiful. And. She's really smart. She'll finish school this year.", he said having a special sparkle in his eyes. "Her voice is the most melodic I've ever heard. Her laugh is the most adorable one I know. Her smile, the cutest thing on earth. And. Her eyes are the most beautiful I've ever seen. I don't know her that long but... long enough to know that she's the girl I really want. She always says that she's ugly and annoying. But. To me, she's the most perfect girl."

While he spoke he stared at the ceiling forming the biggest smile with his lips I've ever seen of him. Actually, I am broken. But seeing him happy makes me happy. Now I know, what he wants. And what I'll never be.

"Wow. I hope she'll realize soon what you feel for her.", I lied, because I don't want her to realize. "I know that she'll be treated like a princess by you. Like. Your princess."

Saying those words is the worst thing on earth. It hurts so much. But I simply cannot tell him about my feelings. What a terrible best friend would I be? I'd destroy his happiness. I would confuse him in any single way.

"Yeah. I hope...", he said turning his head so he could look me in the eyes. "I hope she realizes it. I don't know whether she feels the same. She never mentioned something. And. This is also a reason why I don't really want to tell her. Because I'm afraid of getting hurt. Of losing a friend. A really good friend. And. Probably my best friend."

"Oh. You're in love with your best friend.", I said, being a bit shocked about the sad truth that I'm whether the girl he's in love with, neither I'm his best friend.

He still looked at me. I can't analyse his glance. It is like... he's expecting something and sad at the same time. I don't get his logic. I don't get why he's looking at me like that. Or why he spent the last two days with me instead of the girl he likes.

"Amélie?"

"Yeah?" , I asked, now looking into his eyes.

"I really need to show you something.", he said and stood up, going to grab some shorts and a tank top. "Come on."

He reachs me out his right hand with a grin on his face. I smile back, stand up and check my 'outfit' before I take his and and follow him.

He leads me out of his bedroom, through the corridor by we are standing in front of a door. It's weird but I have never seen this door before. I looked at his skeptically and he just opens the door, pulling me through that I walk right behind him upstairs. When we reached the top of the stairs he turns around to me.

"Okay come in front of me. I'll hold your eyes shut.", he said, pulling me in front of him. "Promise not to look! It's a surprise."

"Okay, promise. But. I'm getting scared if you are acting like... This."

He kept my eyes shut with his right hand and opened the door with the other hand. It is sunny outside, I feel its warming. I carefully put each foot in front one another to trying not to fall. He holds me close with his left hand now, leading me somewhere to nowhere. Suddenly, he stopped.

"What now?", I askes him a bit hysterically.

"We're there.", he said that I could already hear that he's grinning. "Are you ready?"

"Oh come on, just show me already!", I said like a stubborn, curious child. "I'm nervous!"

"Why are you nervous? There is no reason for it."

"Marco.", I began. "If you don't sgow me within the next ten seconds I can't promise not to kill you."

He took a deep breath and let his hand go, putting his arms around my waist now. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around. From the first moment I'm overwhelmed.

"Oh my god are you serious?", I snaid, turning to him. "Is that your roof-top terrace? Oh my god there's the stadium!"

Like a little girl I walk everywhere and look what I can see. And that's quite a lot. I guess, I can see more than five kilometers far. It is so beautiful here.

"You like it?", he asks, sitting down on the border so his legs dangle in the air. "Wanna take a seat?"

I go towards the place he is sitting and sit down right next to him. He looks straight to a huge house. I have the strange feeling that there is another surprise than just this place.

"What's the real reason why we're sitting here, Marco?"

He doesn't answer for a little while. He seems thinking of something. I don't want to interrupt him in thinking and prefer saying nothing. Finally, I lay down my head on his shoulder, moving a bit closer to him. I feel his eyes on me but this time, I don't mind. I just enjoy the moment right now. With him.

"The real reason why we're here...", he said before he stopped again for a little while. "I... Actually thought that I don't have to do this. But. Since... Since something didn't work I have to do it now."

"What are you talking about?", I ask him while he looks at me now and takes my hand. "Marco..."

"You are my best friend. I'm in love with you."