Victim 29

One side of my brain was telling me that he couldn't die. He was a halfblood, right? Only halfbloods could kill other halfbloods.

But then I shook my head and closed my eyes and let Devan's voice invade every crook of my mind. There were two ways to kill a half blood. Two ways. And, maybe I was just being stupid, but maybe being shot was the other way. I mean, it was plausible if not believable. And the crimson that was forming around Axel was one of the reasons as to why I tore my gaze away from his lifeless body and to the direction of where the shot had come from.

Blood had never bothered me.

I'd coated my hands in the stuff one too many times. Part of me was proud of it. Well, most of me was proud of it. But there was another part of me - one that I was slightly afraid of - that regretted it a little bit. That regretted going along with the poison in my blood. My victims weren't innocent, but some of the people were killed out of pure anger on my part.

I didn't remember half of the people that had had their lives stolen from me.

I killed a minimum of five people each night and I'd been doing this job for four years. That meant I'd killed more than one thousand and forty people. That was enough people to wipe a town! And, as much as I hated to admit it, some people didn't deserve to die. I could've found a lot more people who had had a lot more of a colourful past, but, hey, I was lazy and time was running out - for me and them.

Each of them were on the Karma list anyway. They were just a little bit further down. I had just kind of bumped them up a bit.

I shook my head, trying to shake the irrelevant thoughts out of my head. Who cared if I killed more than a thousand people?

Probably the police, but I was dead to them. Literally.

My landlord was scarier than the police, in my opinion. Which was weird. I hadn't paid him rent wither and he hadn't busted down my door yet, which was also very weird. I almost shivered at the thought of it. Of him.

God, I hated that man. His looks were just plain scary and his voice? Don't even get me started on that. A cross between whisper and troll and oh my fuck. You did not want to hear that when you had slept for exactly twenty one hours and thirty three minutes the night before and hunted down more than thirty victims that same night.

That was a story for another day.

My eyes connected with the cause of Axel's bloody situation. The cause being a middle aged woman, with eyes as crazy as my own and brown hair that was in a delicate plait down the side of her head. I couldn't deny she was beautiful, because she was. She really was.

Her lips were pulled into a smirk as she flicked dirt off of her shoulder. I was mesmerised by her movements because they were so slick and so sharp and yet her eyes. Her eyes were crazy.

She started to walk forward, a pistol swinging to and fro in her left hand. I narrowed my eyes at her and placed a hand in front of my face. "Stop," I said, but it came out like a whisper. "Please." And she dropped the smirk as easily as she dropped the gun to the ground.

"I'm not armed anymore," I looked towards the gun on the ground and then towards her feet that were coming closer and closer and they stopped. She only took two more steps, but that was close enough and I think she knew that.

I curled my hand up into a fist and put it to my head, forcing myself to look up and not towards the ground or towards Axel.

I wished I hadn't. A smile was on her face and her eyes were on me and I knew those eyes. They were so fucking crazy.

They were my eyes.

They were the reason I didn't have mirrors.

The reason as to why I hadn't seen myself in what felt like years.

Those eyes. Those fucking eyes.

I knew straight away who this woman and who wouldn't? She was so calm and so collected and her eyes were crazy. She was the perfect definition. She wasn't a question, like everyone else. No. She was obvious an exclamation mark on a white sheet of paper.

But I needed to hear it. I needed to hear the words because I thought I would go crazy myself if I didn't.

"Who are you?" I whispered, feeling hopeless. She reached her arm out to touch me, but when I flinched she drew back and her smile widened.

"I've been watching you, Chasity. And I know that sounds weird, but you should know that I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I want you to know that."

I gritted my teeth. "You didn't answer the question."

"That's because you know the answer." She took another step forward and I took one back, not wanting to see her anymore. Everything I'd ever known was in front of me, yet I didn't know what it was. I didn't know who she was and, yet, I did.

And that terrified me.

I knew her and my hands were shaking as my fingers dug into my trousers. I needed to know.

I bowed my head so that my hair was blocking her from view.

"I... I think I do."

"No, Chasity. You do. There is no think about it. You know who I am. I want to hear you say it. Before I tell you, I need to hear you say it." Her voice was heavy, like she was about to cry.

Everything was crumbling around me and she was the one with the heavy voice and the tears. My head snapped up so that I could look at her.

There were tears in the corners of her blue eyes and her bottom lip was trembling. All composure was gone. Poof. Disappeared.

And all that was left was a shell of a person who I once knew. Who I once worshipped.

This was not the person I wanted to become. She was not the person I wanted to see. I balled my hands into a fist and dug my nails into the palms of my hands. "You don't get to do that." I said, my voice raising with every syllable. "You don't get to do it!"

She raised an eyebrow and ran a hand through her hair.

"Do what?"

"Act like you care! You don't. You didn't. You never fucking did and I hate you so much for that." I took a breath. "I. Hate. You." I whispered it, making sure she heard every breath that came from my lungs. Making sure she heard the venom that was running through my veins. Making sure she knew I meant it.

And that was when I saw it.

Pain.

Pain flashed through her eyes before she took a step towards me a grin taking ahold of her features.

She ran a finger nail down my cheek, but I stood my ground. I didn't back away like I wanted to. I stood my ground because I needed her to know I meant what I said. She wasn't winning this.

Her nail traced it's way down my face and then towards my hair, tucking it behind my ear. She leant her head forward so that her breath fanned my ear. "If you hate me, Chasity, you hate yourself. We are the same. You are mine. And I am destruction, Chasity. You and I, we are destruction. It's about time you believed that."

And before I could react, her hands were around my neck and my world was cracking.
________________________

IM NOT GOING TO SAY SORRY FOR THE WAIT B/C I SWEAR TO GOD I AM MAKING UP FOR IT IN THE NEXT CHAPTER.

VICTIM 30 AND OH MY GOOOOD. IF THIS WAS A TV SERIES, IT WOULD BE THE CLIMAX TO THE SERIES (it's not the end chapter though, dw c:)

BUT BRACE YOUR BRAINS. I SWEAR TO GOD, I'M MAKING UP FOR MY SHITTY UPDATING AND MY TERRIBLE GRAMMAR AND PLOT HOLES AND YUP YUP YUP.

i'm probably bigging it up too much, but the next chapter is literally what this story has been building up to and i. cant. wait.

i'm so excited.

update will be on the weekend. i'm making it perfect, i promise.