~eighteen~

A/N at the end
luke:

I walked Michael home that night, obviously making sure he was alright. He never told me what happened to him but I'm guessing it was something related to me asking him to my room. Maybe something bad happened the last time he said yes.

I shuddered at the thought as I rolled out of bed for school the next day.

I walked with Calum, deciding not to tell him about the breakthrough with Michael's speech or the melt down he had shortly after.

"Please tell me you won't upset Michael today," cal rolled his eyes. I could tell he didn't mean it in a bad way, I had upset Michael in the past though not intentionally.

"Definitely not Cal," I shook my head. "Me and Michael have worked on things."
"Oh really?" He raised an eyebrow. "Hard to do when he doesn't talk, huh?"

"Y-yeah," I laughed nervously.

He shrugged and returned to stare at his phone screen as we walked into the school gates. Soon I was met with a sight that made my stomach churn.

Michael was on the floor as a group of boys kicked at him roughly. Not many people were around but those who were decided to try and pretend like it wasn't happening.

"What the fuck is this?" I screamed.

Everything seemed to pause. The boys all turned round so I could see their pathetic faces. The Vamps, I should have known that's who it was the first time Michael had his face kicked in.

They stared at me with wide eyes. I don't remember being this angry, ever. I stormed forward and grabbed one that I recognised as James by the neck and I began to thrash him about. He fell to the floor and quickly got up and ran away along with his friends.

I looked down at Michael, who was lay in a curled up ball on the concrete.

"Michael?" I asked worriedly, crouching down. He seemed a little out of it.

I noticed how people around us were staring but remaining silent. "Don't you have anything better to do?" I screeched, making them jump and walk away.

"Dude," Cal put a hand on my shoulder but I shook it off. "Calm down."

"I can't 'calm down'." I sighed.

The bell for first period rang.
"Bro I'd love to stay but if I'm late to this lesson the teacher won't even pass me, I've missed so much already-"
I cut him off with a brief nod and he fist bumped me, leaving for class.

I looked back down at the small boy under me. "Mikey," I cried. "Talk, please."

He blinked his eyes, speaking in a croaky whisper. "I-is anyone there?"

"No, just me." I assured him.
He nodded and squeezed his eyes shut. I drowned and helped him up and lead him to the bench, sitting with his head in my shoulder for support since he seemed quite fragile.

"T-the b-bell..." He squeaked.

"I don't care if I have to skip school to look after you." I stated. "Okay?"

He gulped and nodded.

"What hurts?"  I asked.
He pointed to his head and his stomach.

I examined his head and then went to lift up his shirt but even in his dazed state he pushed away my hands weakly.

"N-no."

"Michael I won't hurt you. I need to see." I told him sincerely, he looked at me with tired eyes and I touched his shirt again.