Ten

The prince and I returned to the castle quite late that night. We spent most of the day with me laying against his chest and him twirling his fingers through my knotted blonde hair. It was mostly quiet. The birds were chirping and the wind whistled through the trees, but next to no words were exchanged. I didn't mind. Something about being with him, whether it was silent or not, was very comforting.

Almost as soon as I got to my room and fell onto my bed, the door opened a crack.

"Lachlan?" As soon as they said that, I knew it was Jerome.

"Yeah!" I called out. He opened the door further and walked in, plopping down on the foot of the bed.

"So!?" He sounded so excited. I smiled tiredly, my face turning pink as I thought about what had happened.

"It was nice- he was nice. Jerome?" I sat up and looked at him with a troubled expression. "How come he is doing this? How come he is so set on me and talking to me?"

"I don't know," he replied, shrugging. "I've never met the prince so I couldn't tell you. But I think you're underestimating yourself, Lachlan. You're a very nice person."

I lied back down face first and mumbled a muffled thank you. He took the scratchy blanket and threw it over me, whispering a simple 'goodnight' before walking out of the room and closing the door behind him.

The next morning was a regular morning. I followed my usual schedule. It went on for just over a week. Nothing had changed really. Jerome told me he met this other boy who is part of the floor below us. That meant he was superior to this floor. Jerome told me that his name was Mitch and that Mitch had made him laugh to the point of tears. I want to meet Mitch.

On the ninth day after the day I left the castle, the prince came in with dinner and we talked about going to watch a play at the theatre in town. I've never been to a play and when I told him that, he gave me a disbelieving look and told me 'Lachlan we are going to a play!'.

When he left, my heart felt a little empty and I decided that I needed to think about what I was feeling for the prince. He was by far my best friend. He also makes my entire being tingle when he compliments me or fluffs my hair. I know that I do not like him in that way. I can't. He's just the prince of a snobby family. He's just a friend. Right?

__________
idk if you could tell but there is no schedule to updating this
hope u dont mind''
:) thanks for reading