Six

My eyes flew open and I quickly sat up as a loud bell was being rung. My eyes darted around the room to look for any signs of danger. I breathed out when I saw nothing. A few years on the streets will do that to you. About the bell though, I guessed it was a wake up call of sorts.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and stretched out, groaning softly. What would today hold in store for me?

There was a knock on the door.

"Sir! You're being asked to report to the mess hall!" A muffled voice shouted from the hallway. I blinked, not moving. Mess hall? Where and what is that?

Another knock on the door followed by the same man hollering, "Immediately!"

I swung my legs around and stood up from the bed. I looked down at my ratty clothes. What does the prince like about this disaster of a person? Why did he give me a second thought?

I shook my head, walking to the door, and shivering slightly. The floor was cold on my feet. Slippers and some hot tea would be great right now, but instead I left my room and looked for some sign of where the so-called mess hall would be.

Much to my surprise, I was greeted with a fairly busy hallway with quite a few people all walking in one direction which I assumed would lead to the mess hall. So I cautiously followed them, being sure to engrave the path into my mind.

The mess hall was a large room filled with a fair amount of wooden tables and benches as well as many light fixtures. The room had a very empty feel to it and I immediately did not like it. I had to sit at a table with another guy who had buzzed brown hair. He looked intimidating.

We were served a meal of oatmeal and bread which I was thankful for. And after that, I was pulled aside and given the task of sweeping the hallways and mess hall. Needless to say, sweeping the hallways of this huge building took most of my day. It wasn't bad, honestly. It just left me too much time to think and that was dangerous.

My thoughts were dark. They were mean. They were sad. They were all sorts of things. Also they were not something I wanted to think. Ever. So when I was led back to my room and was able to lay down on the bed, I was very grateful.

I was also secretly hoping the prince would visit with dinner again.

I liked that.

_________
i promise the chapters to come won't be as boring as these
yikes!
also cover change bc i hated the last one omg