Seven

It's been a pretty good past few weeks. My schedule has been consistent which I don't particularly mind. The wake up bell is rung, everyone goes to breakfast in the mess hall, then we go on to do our respective duties. Mine consists of dishes and sweeping. I consider myself lucky. This boy I met who I sit with every day during morning meal, Jerome, has to wash down the stables. He says it smells worse than rotten eggs.

Every second day my floor is brought to the outdoor showers where we take turns washing down. It was so unusual to see everyone around me naked. The first few times, I kept my head down and went as quick as I could. I got used to it though. No one actually cares and I'm trying my best not to

Also, every evening meal the prince comes down to my room and spends a few hours with me. He's sweeter than sugar to me and I still can't figure out why. I'm a scrawny, useless boy. Yet he comes back everyday and talks to me. Some days it's about what he does during the day, others it's about what I do. We've talked about things from fantasy lands to how many mice live in the castle. He had guessed 23. I told him he was silly and that there had to be at least 100. He laughed.

Last night was different though. He came into my room wearing an ear to ear smile. I could've even sworn he had a bounce in every step. He sat on the bed next to me and said, "Hello Lachy!" In a cheery voice. I wrinkled my nose at the nickname.

He then proceeded to tell me that he got permission to take me outside the castle. Why me? Your guess is as good as mine. He sounded so excited and happy. I was happy too, an emotion I hadn't felt much before I met him.

So that's how I ended up wearing a nice pair of clothes that belonged to Jerome (I wanted to look decent for him), waiting in my room long before the sun rose because Vikk had asked me to. Last night had been a fitful night. I had butterflies swarming my stomach. I was so nervous, even though it was never awkward between us and he didn't make me feel anything but safe.

When a small knock on the door was heard and a certain prince called for me, the butterflies increased tenfold. I opened the door and he reached for my hand. My face heated up as he held it tightly.

"Keep your voice down," he giggled, "They're all sleeping!" He gestured at all the closed doors lining the hallway. I laughed a little bit, nodding.

"Mr. Prince, where are we going?" I whispered.

"On a picnic."

__________
holy moly an update
thanks so so much for reading it makes me real happy
xoxo