Nine

Vikk pulled some apples and bread from the small bag hanging off his shoulder and set it all in front of us. My eyes went wide at the thought of eating a sweet and juicy fruit. It definitely wasn't everyday you got to eat fresh fruit. The town we live in doesn't grow anything, so importing it is expensive. The vendors who do get it imported sell everything for a lot more so they can make their money back.

"Vikk... I can't eat your food..." I mumbled quietly, looking at my lap.

"Shush Lachlan, I want to do this for you. I don't think anyone is going to miss two apples and a loaf of bread," He laughed a little towards the end. I nodded uncertainly, cautiously taking one of the red delicacies sitting in front of me.

"Lachy, let's talk. All day. I want to sit here with you until the sun is setting and the stars come out."

My face went a bit red, but I found myself nodding again with a shy smile plastered on my face. Earlier, when we got here, I was feeling a bit awkward. Then he started up a conversation like we have every night and all negative feelings dissipated.

"So Vikk, what do you think the stars are made of?"

He closed his eyes thoughtfully.

"I think they're made of love," he paused. I waited for him to continue, smiling wide at his response.

"They're made of the love from people on earth. We love people here and I think that love is too small to be only between us, so it is sent up into the sky and it's very beautiful. It all comes together and forms stars. We can see our love from here," He finished, face flushed and eyes closed.

"Prince Vikk, that was very lovely."

He opened his eyes and smiled at me. It was another few minutes of silence before either of us spoke again.

"Lachlan," Vikk whined, stretching his arms.

"Yeah?"

"I'm tired." I laughed.

"You're the one who woke up super early, you goose."

Suddenly, he looked up at my face with a serious expression.

"Lachlan, your eyes hold sadness and loneliness."

I felt my heart catch in my throat. I knew where this was going. Shaking my head vigorously, I scooted back. He crawled over to me, one hand extended my way.

"Lachy, no, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. Your eyes are a beautiful blue, okay? And you don't have to say anything about why they are sad eyes, it's okay Lachlan. C'mere, Lachy," I let him take my hand and pull me towards him. I kept shaking my head. I wanted the thoughts out.

Lachlan, Lachlan get out of the house. Get out. Leave me here, I'll take care of it.

You little shit! Get back here or I'll burn your house with your mother still in it! Hell, I'll burn you too!

Lachlan don't. Get away. Run. If someone is chasing you, run.

Vikk was shaking me gently, softly saying my name. I blinked and looked up at him. I was sort of sitting in between his legs and my back was against his chest. I heard him sigh, his shoulders relaxing.

"You weren't responding," he whispered. His hand rubbed up and down my arm.

I was so difficult. I just ruined the whole day. Why does the prince still talk to me?

__________
idkdikkdkk am i supposed to respond to comments
ahhh i just love all of you
you're all too sweet and cute
also!!! this story is set in very old times if you didn't know :D
xx thank you