Chapter 20

___________Levi's POV____________
Its been about five hours since (F/N) was admitted to the infirmary, and there has been no news about her current condition.
"Dammit, what's taking them." I grumble.
I then feel a hand on my shoulder.
I look up at the familiar blond Commander.
"Don't worry, she's going to be fine. After all, she did say that she's been through similar experiences, and still managed to survive." Erwin says.
"I know." I say simply as I continue to stare at the door leading to the infirmary.
We were silent for the next hour or so, waiting for the news of the (H/C) haired girl.
After about what seemed to be another hour of waiting, the door finally opened, only to reveal shitty-glasses.
I quickly stood up, and pushed Hanji out of the way, before entering the infirmary.
"Levi, wait-" Hanji tried to call out to me, but I simply ignored her.
I saw (F/N) laying in bed, with her eyes open, but as I went to stand next to her bed, something shocking happened.
She immediately stood up, and saluted that odd salute that she usually does.
"(F/N)-" As I tried to say something else, but she interrupted me.
"Codename: Shadowstalker, reporting for duty, I await your command." She said in a monotonous voice.
My eyes widen, as my breathing hitched.
"What?" I asked, simply not believing what I was seeing, nor hearing.
I turned around to see that Hanji was behind me, with Erwin.
"This is what I was trying to tell you. We tried everything, but it seems that the muliple blows to her head, seemed to have caused her to stay in this state. I'm so sorry, Levi." Hanji explains.
"Is there some way to revert her back?" Erwin asks.
"I'm afraid I don't know. This might last only for a brief amount of time, or it could be permanent. We have no idea of knowing." Hanji says as she shakes her head.
I tilted my head down, so that my bangs were covering my eyes.
"Could you guys give me a few moments alone?" I ask, refusing to turn around.
"Yeah, let's go Hanji." Erwin said as he left, Hanji following behind, as she closes the door behind her.
I look back up, only to see that (F/N) was still in her salute.
I dismissed her, and she obediently followed by getting out of her salute.
"What are your orders, sir?" She asked monotonously.
I grit my teeth together.
"Get some rest, so your body can heal." I say as calmly as I could.
She nodded her head, as she laid back down on the bed, and stared blankly at the ceiling.
'What the hell am I suppose to do?' I think as I continued to stare at the woman before me.
-----------------Time Skip-----------------
Its been about three weeks since I found about (F/N)'s condition, and I tried helping in regaining some of her emotions, or memories back, but she would always brush it off.
When my new squad had found out about what had happened to (F/N), they also tried in helping in regaining either her emotions, or memories back, but they too ultimately failed in doing so, and right at the moment, I am sitting in my office.
My head is in my hands, as I try and think about what to do about (F/N)'s condition.
Hanji said to leave her alone, that she should be regaining her emotions or memories back on her own, but I don't want to wait.
I miss the (F/N) that would draw, paint, or sketch something.
I miss the (F/N) that would try her best in training.
I miss the (F/N) that would do whatever it took to cheer someone up.
But, most of all, I miss the (F/N) that loved me.
As I was thinking about all this, I heard a knock at my door.
"Name and business." I say, not taking my head out of my hands
"(F/N) (L/N), I came with paperwork from Commander Erwin." She says in a monotonous voice.
"Come in." I say, still not taking my head out of my hands.
I hear the door open, and close. I then hear the sound of footsteps getting closer to my desk, before finally stopping in front of it. I hear the sounds of paper rustling before it was placed on my desk, and then the sounds of retreating footsteps, but they stop mid-step.
"Sir, may I ask something?" I hear her ask.
"Go ahead." I say as I hesitantly look up at her as she salutes.
"Sir, if I may be so bold to ask, but are you okay?" She asks.
I raise am eyebrow, as I ask "What do you mean by that?"
"Not to sound rude, sir, but it looks like you lost something important." She says, causing my eyes to widen.
Then something happens that even surprises myself.
I begin to cry.
I don't let out sobs, but tears just fall from my eyes.
I tilt my head down, as I cover my eyes with one of my hands.
I then hear the sounds of footsteps making their way behind me.
I then feel a hand on my forehead, as it forces my head back.
Only for my head to rest on something soft from behind.
I look up, only to see that (F/N) had placed my head on her chest.
I close my eyes as I hear her steady heartbeat.
"What are you doing?" I ask as I try my best to not let my voice crack.
"Usually, humans would comfort others by sharing body warmth, or by letting them hear their heartbeats, thats why they would sometimes do this in order to calm infants when they're crying." She says as she just looks ahead.
"But, I'm not an infant." I say.
"Correct, but humans always like another's warm embrace. I thought that this would try to calm you down." She says as she let's go, and begins to walk away after my tears have stopped falling.
"I have one question for you." I state, this causes her to stop walking and turn around.
"What would that be, sir?" She asks.
"Why do you say humans? I mean your human too." I say.
For a split second, I could've sworn that I saw sadness in her eyes, before returning to their dead stare.
"Because, sir, I am not human. I am a weapon that is to be used in battle, and if I were to break, to be nearly thrown away like a broken gun. That is all I am, nothing more, nothing less." She says, before continuing to walk.
But, before she could reach for the doorknob, I already had her in my embrace.
"You are not a weapon. You aren't so easily disposable, either. You are human. More human than you'd like to think." I say as I hug her tighter.
I saw her eyes widen for a moment, before returning to their original dead stare.
But, something surprising happens.
She smiles.
For the first time in weeks, she smiles.
I then hear her say a soft "Thank you, sir."
I even have a ghost of a smile on my own lips.
I let her go, and she continues her way out of the door. The small, almost invisible smile on her face is still plastered there.
'I know that the (F/N) I know is still there.' I think as I make my way towards my desk, finishing the paperwork that I was suppose to get done.
The ghost of a smile, still playing on my lips.