Chapter 14

____________Your POV_____________
You were currently staring at the ceiling in the infirmary, when an idea popped into your head, and that was when Eren decided at the right time to come check on you.
You cleared your throat as you tried to speak as clearly as possible.
"Er-en, bri-ng me..my ba-gs."
Eren shocked at your ability to talk now, only nodded before rushing to grab your things.
___________Levi's POV____________
Its a little past midnight, and (F/N) was resting in the infirmary, after getting her wounds treated, and as for me, I was sitting in my office, thinking about nothing in particular.
Tomorrow Erwin had requested to see me, along with the rest of squad Levi, which now consisted of me, (F/N), and Eren.
As I was about to get up, and go to bed, when all of a sudden, I heard a knock at the door.
Curious at who could be here this late at night, I opened to my door, and standing there was (F/N).
Although she was still limping when she walked, she held something behind her back, it was covered by a cloth.
I let out a sigh as I say "What the hell are you doing here, you should be resting."
"S-o, shou-ld..you." She said, her voice was becoming less and less raspy as she talked.
I clicked my tongue as I stepped aside to let the brat in.
She carefully limped her way towards the nearby couch.
Once she got there, she carefully set the clothed object next to her.
"What did you want?" I asked, trying my best not to sound rude, as I sit back down on my chair.
I see her smile as she gets back up, grabbing the clothed object, and makes her way around to me.
She then hands it out to me, giving me a gentle smile.
I carefully take the object, and uncover it, only to stare at it in shock.
It was a painting, of me, and my deceased comrades.
(See picture above)
There were two doves, a black one and a white one flying in front of me.
As if they were the living representation of the wings of freedom.
'Its beautiful.' That's the only word I could think, and as I look up, I see that (F/N) was still covered in different colors of paint.
"I us-ed acrylic pai-nts, the-y dry fas-ter." She explains.
After a few minutes of silence, (F/N) finally breaks it.
"Ther-e's more." She says as she carefully pulls out a white folded rag.
She hands it to me, and I open it.
My eyes widen, and mouth falls agap a bit, showing that I was visibly shocked.
It was Eld's patch resting on the clean white rag.
"I saw yo-u give away Petr-a's patch. Thought that you mi-ght want one from your squad." She explains.
She then sits in the chair that is across from my desk.
She then pulls out the small tan pouch that belonged to her.
"I wan-t to tell you what happened to m-y squad." She says, her voice beginning to return to her.
She then opens the pouch, and dumps it out, revealing five small metal tags.
"What are these?" I ask.
"Dog tags. They resem-ble those patches." She says and my eyes widen.
"Then that means-" I begin, but soon got interrupted by (F/N).
"They're dead, yes."
"What happened?" I ask cautiously.
"Well, we were all piled in a large metal cart, called a truck. We were on patrol, when a small child appeared in front of us. He had an explosive device strapped on him. He was no older than eight. I had a choice, to shoot the child before the bomb detonates, or not kill the kid, and have the kid die, along with everyone else. I knew what choice I had to make, but I hesitated. That hesitation killed my squad, and nearly killed me. But, I was the lucky son of a bitch that got away, that's how I got this scar." She says as she points to the scar underneath her chin.
I didn't know what to say.
"Why are you telling me this?" I asked as I furrow my eyebrows.
"Because, I wanted you to know. I trust you greatly, along with another reason." She says looking away.
'Other reasons?' I think.
"What other reasons?" I ask.
"I'll give you a riddle, and you'll solve it in order to know what the other reasons are. How's that?" She asks, and I hesitantly nod my head.
She grabs a spare sheet of parchment, and begins to write it down.
She hands it to me, and it reads:
The shortest word for me is I. The sweetest word for me is love. The only word for me is you.
My eyes widen as I read the small riddle.
'I. Love. You.' Those three words rang out in my mind.
I look up at (F/N), and I see that her head is turned to the side, as she tries desperately to hide the blush on her face.
Then that's when everything snapped into place.
The reason why I want to cheer her up.
The reason why I want to be nice to her.
The reason why I want to protect her.
Its all because of those three simple, yet complicated words.
Before I know what I'm doing, I have (F/N) in my arms, hugging her tightly.
I feel her squirm a bit, that's when I remembered the wound on her abdomen.
"Sorry." I mutter as I let her go a bit, but still not letting her go completely.
"I love you, too." I mutter.
We both look at each other for a moment, before we begin to slowly lean in towards each other.
We kept meaning towards each other, until our lips barely pressed against each other.
After the short, and light kiss, (F/N) squirms out of my grasp as she hurriedly makes her way towarss the door.
"I-I'll see you l-later." She stutters with a red face, as she leaves the room, and I could've sworn that I heard all my squad members laughing at the scene that just happened.
A ghost of a smile on my face as she leaves the room.
I then head to my own bed, falling asleep before I have to wake up tomorrow for Erwin's request.