The Warning

The Warning

My words to my old friends and creation only seem to anger them. They all snarl at me but I notice that Alexander is less vocal than the rest. He is calm and collected. That is what I hated most about him. His hair had changed with the times. It is longer and he ties it with a silver silk string. The coat on his shoulders brings back memories of when I last saw him. He is studying me; trying to see the changes.

Akara glares at me. Her deep eyes fill with the blood lust that is in every one of my children. She wants to rip my head off. She hisses at me, much to my amusement. The floor length sleeveless dress is loose on her figure and matches her dark skin precisely. Her dark hair is twined into braids that almost kiss the floor.

I smile at him cruelly, tuning out the rest of the party.

"If it isn't the mistress of shadows," he says.

"If it isn't the traitor of London." I use the reference to the last time I had seen any of them. I lick my hand which is still pasted with vampire blood. "Have you come to try and finish your botched attempt at killing me?"

"You killed him," Akara says. She is doing her best to not attack me. I see it in every fiber of her being. I really want her to come at me. I am dying for a fight with all of them. You betrayed me. It is a good thing I have powers that they have no idea about.

Sargon moves forward and touches Akara's shoulder. They are sharing a message. "She will pay for this with her life," Sargon says. "We are more powerful than she is. Together we can rid ourselves of her and the council will be strong enough."

"She is our maker," Marco argues.

"She killed my Jean."

All of them think I cannot hear their message. "We are vampires. We kill. Whether it is a human or a vampire is of no consequence to us." Their mental conversation stops. Alexander tries to force me to move. I smile at him and turn my steely gaze to my former dark skinned favorite. "It turns out that I just seem to enjoy doing it a lot these days. Besides, isn't this, what you wanted from me?"

"You will pay." Akara continues to snarl and hiss at me. "I will kill you and then I will kill the boy."

"Calm down Akara," Natalia says. "She will pay for killing a guard of the council. It is our laws. Those that kill one of the guards always pay."

"Pay for what exactly?" I ask.

"You killed my Jean," Akara snarls.  

I watch her in amusement. I taught her how to fight and I know everything she is going to do. I feel the fire start round the tips of my fingers and toes. So you discovered that little trick, I think. I wonder just how many powers they have discovered over time. I know for a fact that they can never rival me. I smile at her which only makes her angrier. After a few moments in which the others are watching to see my reaction, I get bored with Akara's feeble attempt at burning me.

"How fast you all forget." I have Akara's neck in my hands and I throw her at the tree nearest to us. It crunches in half, landing across the small clearing. "You attempts are still weak."

She is up on her feet and preparing to lunge at me. I smile evilly. She flies through the air. At the last moment I grab her dark braids and throw her at Alexander's feet. I decide to give her a taste of her own medicine. The small embers start at the edges of her dress. She forgets about me and tries to put out the small flames with her hand.

"Enough of this," Alexander snaps.

I stop the small fires. "I have done nothing dear boy," I address him. "She is the one who wanted to burn me." I turn my back on him and pick up the small hankie that fell on the floor as I threw Akara. I clean my fingers but the deep shade of red remains tinted on my pale hands. "So how may I help you lot of traitors."