24. Parting Ways

Ellie seemed to be the last to walk inside the beautiful event. She had on a black gown with dark makeup and her hair was in tight curls. She brought Nathan as her because he was the only boy she felt comfortable going with. He wore a black tux matching with black gown. Knowing her parents and her brother was going there was no reason to stay at home. The air flew with chatter of gossip, business ventures, etc. A waiter offered two glasses of champagne, couldn't resist she took two and handed one to Nathan. The guest had put on their most elegant attire for this special night. Smile. She told herself. She clinched her teeth together as she let a smile place upon her face.
"It's okay." Nathan smiled. "I'm not going anywhere." He was looking at her grasp on his arm. 
She gave a giggle before loosening up. "I'm sorry." 
He shook off and continued walking. The crowds of people made her skin jump off her body but she had to keep calm.
"You want anything drink?" Nathan asked pointing to the container of juice sitting at the food buffet. "It looks pretty good."
She looked around to see waiters carrying slick glasses of champagne. "No, let's get some of that." She pointed over waiter with the dish of champagne glasses.
"You sure you can handle it?" He smiled.
"I'm sure." She laughed. She watched him walk over to lady and grabbing two glasses. From the short time she had knew him, she could really say she had liked him and was glad they met. Nathan came back and handed her a glass. She took a good gulped of the champagne and let it bubble down her throat.
"Is it good?" Nathan asked.
"It's strong that's all." She made a face as she took another sip of it. The venue seemed to be at full capacity before the Mayor got up on stage. "Good Evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the 50th Mayor's Gala." His round figure inside his white suit gave him an egg appearance. "I'm Mayor Gavin Thompson and it's my honor be here again."
"Here we go." Nathan whispered. She smelled the scent on champagne on his breath.
"It's my pleasure to be the Mayor of this town but I have some news to share." The mayor continued. "I'm giving up my position for next years election."
The crowd gasped and reacted in instance chatter.
Is that big of a deal? Ellie thought to herself. She wasn't a big politics type so this speech seemed pointless to her at this point.
"Mayor, are you retiring from politics officially?" A reporter shouted from ahead. A cluster of questions from hungry reporters flooded the Mayor.
"I will answer all questions about my retirement in the near future." The Mayor gestured the crowd to calm down. "But for now we celebrate." He held up his champagne glass and took a large gulp. "But we aren't here for my departure, we are here for this years speech." The crowd roared in cheered and the quick noises of cameras going off gave Ellie a slight head ache.
"I'm going to the ladies room." She whispered before heading away from the crowd. She walked in and immediately hurried into the stall. She squatted and let her pee inside the toilet. Finally. She thought to herself. She heard the door swing open and heard shoes clack against the floor. From the crack, she saw a hooded figure and saw a large ball gown.
"I thought the money was going to keep you away." The ball gown spoke. "You are messing things up."
"There's not any amount of money that will keep me away." The hooded figure spoke. She could a package being handled.
What's going on? Ellie thought to herself.
"Keep your money!" The hooded figure stormed out of the bathroom. The ball gown sighed before exiting afterwards. Ellie slid out of the stall being welcomed in the presence of Riley, Myles' pregnant girlfriend. Her copper tent hair sat in tight curls with a long red gown. "Hey Ellie."
"Hi," Ellie gave a half smile. She noticed that Riley's belly seemed bigger since their last encounter. "Are you enjoying yourself?"
"Yeah, I've met a lot of people that I consider making big moves with." Riley let out a little giggle. "I'm just glad I got to be here."
"Well that's good." Ellie lied. Since the appearance of miss Riley, her family had been in pieces. Not that she wasn't happy of the new edition, it just was bad timing and had fishy written all over it.
"Look Ellie," Riley sighed. "I know things have been rough but I know they will get better."
"How are you so sure?" Ellie raised an eyebrow.
"I just do." Riley more lipstick to her already plumped lips. "But until then, if you wanna talk I'm here for you kiddo." She gave Ellie a quick pat on the shoulder before leaving the bathroom.
Kiddo? Ellie thought to herself. I'm way more mature then that bitch.