7. Heres To Friends .. Sorta

Ellie slid her tray down the line as she read the menu: Pizza rolls & Corn. She made a disgusted face and grabbed a salad. Finishing her meal with a water and baked potato chips she slid her tray off and carried it in the cafeteria. Where should I sit? She thought to herself. She moved her head back and forth looking for a open table. Cliques formed up at a table or two making a divide amongst students. Ellie eventually found a empty table. The cold seats pressed against her butt made a cold chill shoot up her back. What a loser. She thought to herself. Even though she had lived in Springshaven all her life, she had yet to have group of girls to call them her "best friends". Lunch seemed to last forever but somebody consider to sit at the table here.
"Are you sitting here?" He asked. His orange hair glowed as the sunlight shined on him. His pale skin dotted with freckles and deep green eyes have him a mysterious look.
"Yeah I am." She mumbled.
"I'm Nathan." He said as he sat in the seat across from her. "Nathan Reed."
"I'm Ellie." She mumbled.
"I know who you are." He crunched down on his pizza roll. "We've had math together since middle school."
Now when she thought about it, she does remember seeing his face occasionally. Puberty has done its justice. "Oh yeah, I remember you."
"How's your first day?"
"Fine," she responded. "I just need to get use to this big amount of people."
"Same," He slurped down a carton of chocolate milk ending it with a small burp. "Excuse me."
She giggled a little finding some amusement. "It's fine, I'm use to it."
"You are?" His face shocked. "I've never met a girl that could take a burp."
"I have a brother." Ellie confessed. "I know what it's like." She glanced over out the window towards the field. A group of football players tossed a ball back and forth.
"Lucky." Nathan said. "I'm the only child."
For a minute Ellie thought about how it would be like to be the only child. Only one child's shenanigans her parents had to deal with. Getting everything she wanted for Christmas, must be nice.
"How's it like being the only child?" Ellie asked.
"It's pretty cool, sometimes." His voice trailed off. "It gets lonely sometimes. But I've gotten use to it."
"What about your parents?"
"What about them?"
"What are they like?" She asked.
"I mean there cool." He took another slurp of his milk. "Dads in the military, and my mom is a workaholic."
"Aw," Ellie said in a empathic voice.
"It's nothing serious." Nathan said. "I usually go out to the movies or something."
"Oh I love the movies." Ellie cheered.
"Maybe we should go one day." He suggested. "That's if you want."
"Are you asking me on a date?" Ellie asked. He moves fast. She thought to herself.
"No!" He exclaimed. A few heads turned in their direction before continuing with their actions.
"Just some friends going to the movies, nothing major." His voice calm down. "You don't have to if you don't want I don't mind."
"Sure." Ellie agreed.
His mouth dropped. "You serious?"
"Yeah," Ellie said. "We're just friends so it's to nothing."
"Okay then. Just friends." He said picking his jaw up.
"Don't worry, we are just going to the movies." She said. "Is there anything good playing?"
"I'm not sure, I'll have to check." He answered. "How about we get each other's numbers or something?
"That's cool." She slid her white iPhone 4 to him while he slid his iPhone to her. She popped her name in his contacts with her number before they traded phones back.
"I guess it's a date." He said as he picked up his tray.
"Not a date." Ellie reminded him.
"O-oh yeah, not a date," he stumbled. "Just friends."
He back into a wall causing his tray to fall causing a scene. The cafeteria stared in silence as Ellie chuckled.
"Bye," he said as he scurried out of the cafeteria.
Dork. Ellie thought to herself. But she kinda liked it.