22. Break Up to Make Up

Samantha entered into the mayors gala with her long sleeve dark green gown. Her medium length hair was pulled back into a simple pony tail with her fierce makeup. She knew she was the best dressed and she had no problem showing it. She decided to go last minute after she realized her mother Jessica was going. 
"Come on!" Her mom busted in her room with her teal colored dress that came before her knees. "It'll be a great stress reliever." She eventually agreed slipping on a dress she had bought for last years dance. She never worn it because she found something better. The large amount of people in the huge venue gave her a rush. She knew Ryan was attending, and maybe she was cooled off enough to talk to her. Her hands grasped on a glass of champagne taking small sips. The little bubbles fizzing on her tongue let her loosen up. She made her way to a crowd of her class mates starting a conversation.
"Y'all guess who's giving the speech?" Maya Rollins exclaimed. Her brown figure snugged into her ivory dress. "It's Kirsten Reeves!"
Reeves? Samantha thought to herself. Oh really! She knew of Kirsten, they had a flew classes together growing up but never had a friendship. She just knew that she was brainiac.
"Really!" Donovan McFarland exclaimed. The star linebacker on the football team. His broad shoulders made him look huge in his all white suit. "She's a hottie."
The few of them laugh as Samantha sipped on her champagne. She watched as the venues guest grew larger and larger. She began watch as her mom flirted with a larger male. His athletic body and slicked back black hair gave him the Men in Black look.
"Excuse me," she said before waltzing over to her mom.
"Hey honey," her mother exclaimed. She had bright smile with a glass of champagne. "This is Lance Fitzpatrick."
"Of Fitzpatrick Real Estate?" Samantha's eye brow raised. She had saw his posters on benches and saw his signs on lawns. He was very successful in his business.
"I was just telling him how your classmate Kirsten Reeves was giving the speech." Her mother chuckled. "Isn't that amazing?" Her mother gave another chuckle before placing her hand on Lance's shoulder.
"It is." Samantha gave her mom a fake smile. "So Lance, are you enjoying yourself?"
"Yes." He smiled. "It's very extravagant." He looked around before looking back at her.
"Is it your first time in Springshaven?" She asked.
"No, I grew up here." He replied. "I just moved back."
She continued with the small talk before catching Ryan passed her by. She had a red dress with silver lining and headed to the buffet table.
"Ryan!" Samantha called out.
Ryan turned giving her an evil glare. "What do you want?" She plopped a grape in her mouth.
"I just wanted to talk." Samantha expressed. "Just get somethings in check before we just drop this friendship."
"There's nothing to talk about Samantha." Ryan growled. "You should of thought about this friendship when you kissed Trevor."
"First, he kissed me. Second, I didn't think y'all were that serious." Samantha placed her hands on her hips. "I thought he was a boy toy, nothing serious."
Ryan gave an exaggerated sigh. "It doesn't even matter anymore, I've gotten over it honestly.
Samantha's heart jumped, she could see the little crack where their friendship could form again. But she knew it was gonna take some time.
"So maybe we talk later?" Samantha suggested.
"Maybe.." Ryan chewed on another grape before walking off. Samantha gave a quick pout before joining the crowd. She wasn't going to let Ryan bring her mood down. She gulped down the rest of her champagne before grabbing another glass full.