5. Family Matters

Kirsten sat her desk with her MacBook in front of her. Okay, she thought to herself. What to write? She had spent the last few hours bouncing ideas around but nothing had yet to appear.
"How's it going?" Her sister asked from the doorway.
"It's going great," Kirsten lied. "Got all the right juices moving."
"What do you have then?" Morgan asked again.
"A lot," Kirsten lied again.
"Well from the blank paper, doesn't look like much." Morgan chuckled.
"What's so funny?" Kirsten glared. "I don't see you doing any better."
"I came here to help." Morgan snared. "But you seem like you got it." Morgan flipped her head and disappeared.
Bitch. Samantha thought to herself. I got this. Before she started to type, she heard car door slams. She glanced out the window and saw her dad's BMW. She heard the front door open and the noise of grocery bags being dragged in. Kirsten slipped on her fluffy slippers and tip toed down stairs. Her father Xavier forced the meats into the freezer while her mother Paige placed cereal boxes in the cabinet.
"Hey mom, hey dad." Kirsten said as she slid onto the leather couch.
"Hey sweetie." Her mom smiled. "How's that essay coming?"
"It's coming." Kirsten mumbled.
"What essay?" Her father Xavier's head popped up like a prairie dog.
"Oh I forgot to mention," Paige giggled. "Kirsten was chosen to give the speech at the Mayor's Gala."
Her dad's eyes widen. "Congratulations."
"Thank you." Kirsten smiled.
"How does you sister feel about this?" Xavier asked.
"She's taking this hard." Kirsten answered.
"I'm taking it fine." Morgan interrupted. She stood at the bottom of steps. Her slim body was fitting in a Grey cashmere sweater with a nice slim fit pair jeans. "I got over it."
Their mother planted beside Kirsten flipping through a magazine. "Well that's good dear."
Morgan shot a fake smile and slid in the matching chair. "I just want the best for my little sister."
What the hell? Kirsten thought. She knew that her sister was putting on an act. She always did when she wanted to seem like the "best big sister". It make Kirsten want to throw up.
"Have y'all came up with any good ideas?" Her mom asked.
Kirsten and Morgan both shot a look towards each other.
"Of course mom." Morgan lied. "It's been a pleasure working with her."
Their mom planted a great smile on her face. "Now that's the Reeves way."
Their dad slid in his body onto the lazy boy and pulled the lever so his feet could be plopped up. "Well as long as y'all working together that's all that matters. We got to keep the success in this family to keep on growing."
"Kirsten do you want to go finish your speech?" Morgan asked. "Want to get it finished as soon as possible."
Kirsten could feel both of her parents eyes on her. "Yeah that sounds like a good idea." She gave a quick hug to her parents and followed her sister up to her room.
"What the hell was that?" Kirsten exclaimed as she closed her bedroom door. "Make it any obvious that you haven't helped me."
Morgan plopped on Kirsten's bed flipping through a magazine. "Oh don't worry, mom & dad won't suspect a thing."
"I'm not worried about them finding out, I'm worried that you might slip up and tell them." Kirsten shot back. Morgan always had a problem with keeping her mouth shut. No matter what the situation was, somehow Morgan slipped up.
Morgan scoffed. "That's not true." She ended her sentence with a eye roll.
"It is," Kirsten chuckled.
Morgan hopped off the bed and headed to the door. "Well since you are worried about my mouth, how you about you figure it out on your own." She slid out of the room slamming the door behind her. Kirsten flopped her body onto her bed, stuffing her head in the pillows.