10. Family Feuds

Kirsten walked Ava to her door. "Alright I'll see you tomorrow."
"I guess. Bye Kirsten." Ava smiled she as she slid out the garage and headed across the street. Kirsten watched her from the kitchen window just for safety reasons. She locked the door and slid into the kitchen. Grabbing an apple passing the family study she could hear her parents arguing. Sounds intense. She thought to herself. She knew it would be wrong to eavesdrop but she couldn't help it. She tiptoed back to the arch way of the door and pressed her ear against the wall.
"Are you that stupid?!" Her dad asked. His tone was aggressive and she could hear sobs, it had to be her mom.
"I'm sorry Xavier." Her mom sobbed. "I just wanted him to be here for once."
"How do we explain this?" Her dad argued.
"We can just keep it to ourselves." Her mom continued. "Nobody is gonna suspect a thing." Suspect what? Kirsten thought to herself.
"So how do we explain it?" Her dad's tone became more angry. "There's gonna be press, articles, etc."
"We can keep it hidden," she sniffled. "He's only gonna be here for a few days."
"A few days is all that it takes." Her dad explained. "Once this gets out, you can kiss that pretty reputation goodbye."
"I'm sorry Xavier." Her mom sobbed. "I just want us to be a family. Is that so wrong?"
"Well forget about that." Her dad said. "We just need to explain this to our family."
"So what are you trying to say? He isn't family?" Her mom sobbed. "He's still your son."
"What the hell?" Kirsten whispered. Son? There's another one. She thought to herself. Her mind rushed with a million thoughts. A son? Since when? Does Morgan know?
"He hasn't been my son since he made that stupid decision." He exclaimed. Kirsten could hear her fathers footsteps getting close to the archway. Kirsten flew into the the bathroom and closed the bathroom door quietly. Back against the wall she heard her dad stomp down the hall leaving the house. Her mom followed by continuing with her sobs. She waited a couple minutes before she slipped into the study. The desk straight ahead, she flicked on the computer and clicked on a few files. Family files, something? She thought to herself. She jerked the cursor and it plopped beside a file folder: FF.
Family Feud? Family Files? She could hear footsteps coming from her steps. Shit.
"Kirsten!" Her mom called. She could hear a little sniffle. Kirsten pulled a flash drive and plugged it into the computer. The footsteps got closer, sweat beaded down her forehead. She dragged the files onto her flash drive and pulled it back out.
"Kirsten!" Her mother's voice grew angrier.
"Coming." Kirsten called out. She slid it back to her pocket and ran for the door. Turning the corner she ran in front of her mother.
"What were you doing in there?" Her mother asked. Her eyes were red and puffy from her crying.
"Looking for you." She huffed. "Are you okay?"
She rubbed her eyes. "I'm fine, just was watching old family videos." Which seemed like a reasonable excuse for the fact she did cry when she watched them. "Are you hungry?"
"I'm fine, are you?" Kirsten asked. "I can whip something up."
"N-no, I'm just gonna go to bed." Her mom mumbled.
"Is dad here?" Kirsten asked.
"No he had a meeting." She lied. "I'm just gonna go to bed." Before Kirsten say anything her mother disappeared from the hall and she could hear her mother go up to the stairs. Kirsten let out a long exhale. That was a close one. She thought to herself. She felt for the flash drive in her pocket and slipped back up to the stairs.