1. A New Chapter .... Again

Ava slid her head out the window as her dad pulled into their new house.
"We're home" he exclaimed as he put the uHaul truck into  park. This was the third time they had to move in the last 3 years. This time her dad promised that this time they were staying for good. She hopped out the truck and grabbed her bag. The long paved drive was snugged in between to long patches of grass. The dark blue paneling was matched with the white windows and the black doors. She entered in her new home with a tense feeling. She knew to not have her hopes up on staying, nothing was ever permanent.
"Hey after we get the boxes in you want to go get something to eat?" Her dad offered. He reached out to provide a level of comfort but Ava slid back.
"Come on honey, I promised that this time it will be for good." She could see the worry in his eyes. Ever since the splitting of her parents, Ava had been staying with her Mom but eventually her dad got custody so they had been moving around the country to find "their home".
"Sure," she agreed. She grabbed for a few boxes and rushed to carried them inside. Before she knew it, the boxes were placed in the house and the uHaul was empty. She stood outside with waiting for dad to lock up before jumping in the truck.
"I think we might be able to find somewhere good to eat you think?" He asked,
"Yeah sure," she knew that this was his way of trying to bond. But she was over it. The ride was short and simple. Nothing more then 15 minutes which led them to a local diner, Tooties Kitchen. They slid into a booth beside the grand clock. BThe seat pressed a cold feeling against Ava's back which made her jump  alittle. A waitress with the name of Flo walked up to the table "what can I get you?" With her strong accent, it was no obligation that the lady was from the south.
"Can I get your special and your finest tea with lots of sugar, sugar?" Her dad ordered. Ava watched as her dad failed at what he called "flirting". Ava interrupted the conversation with her order and watched as the waitress walked off.
"So I've noticed you've been looking at the field hockey team?"
"Yeah it was just something I considered  trying out for." Ava turned to window. "I haven't even started school yet, so who knows." Looking over to her dad she watched as he studied her.
"I just want you to be happy," he confessed. " I feel like these last few years have been hard for you."
"It has," she coughed. Ava slouched back in her seat as she sipped her Pepsi. She liked the feeling of the little soda bubbles fuzzing on her tongue.
"Are you ready for school?" Her dad questioned.
Ava sighed. "I guess." Even though she moved around constantly, school was important to her dad. The waitress Flo interrupted the conversation with sliding their plates in front of them. Ava watched as her dad checked out Flo as she walked away.
"Dad!" She exclaimed. She watched as he jumped in fear and faced his plate. "I'm sorry honey,"
The rest of dinner was filled with awkward silences and the sounds of the forks hitting the plate. Ava looked out the window again and watched as a couple argued. The blonde head girl placed her hands on her hips as she yelled. Her tanned skin glistened in the sun set, she thin frame snugged in her pink polo dress with her matching shoes. Her boyfriend seemed tense, his broad shoulders were pinned up against his ears as he continued to shrug. His salt & pepper hair color brought a more gothic look to his pale skin tone. Ava continued to studied the couple more closely as the jock grabbed for the tanned arm of his girlfriend, she yanked back leaving him alone in the parking lot. He screamed for her one more time before following behind her.