15

~Shawn's pov~
beep. beep. beep. beep.
My eyes flutter open to the loud beeping coming from the machinery. I yawn and stretch, looking at Nicole. She looks so helpless, and it makes me start to cry. I wasn't there to save her, she was already hurt. I had heard her scream, and ran into every door I saw until I found her lying on the ground, unconscious, getting the life kicked out of her. My knuckles are bruised and bloody, from beating up Ben for his part in the attack on Nicole. I punched Emily square in the face. Not going to lie, that felt good. They both ran for it before the police came, both being written up for assault. My tears are heavy now, and I move my chair over to hold Nicole's hand. She had one black eye, a broken nose, a split lip, a fractured hip bone, and some really bad thing has happened in her torso, requiring surgery. She goes in today, and that just makes me cry even harder. I feel her hand squeeze mine, and she slowly opens her eyes. It had been 2 days, and they were scared she was not going to wake up. But here she was, holding my hand. I wipe my eyes quickly and give her a sad smile.

"Hey babe," I softly say. She smiles, probably not able to say much with her sore throat. It all just makes me cry more. She motions for me to lie next to her and I squish in next to her fragile body. Leaning over, she plants a kiss on my cheek and falls back asleep.

"It'll be okay princess, you'll be okay." I whisper and watch her peacefully rest.
----------------------------------------------
~Nicole's pov~
I awake to someone softly shaking me, and see my mom' puffy eyes looking down on me.

"You have to get up now."

"Why?" My voice is hoarse and scratchy. I rub my throat and grab the water on the side table next to me.

"They need to do surgery..." My mother bursts into tears and kneels on the floor, squeezing my hand. Shawn walks over, looking extremely upset.

"When Emily...When she hurt you, she kicked your stomach several times. She actually ruptured a line in your intestines, causing internal flooding. They need to drain it out today before you eat or drink."

"Look at you, my little doctor. How do you even know all that?" I laugh, trying to stay positive enough for both of them.

"The doctor was in here like 3 minutes ago and said it all," Shawn laughs too and my doctor walks in.

"We need to take her now, it's getting worse," Dr. Shepard explains solemnly. Shawn helps me off the bed and carries me to a different bed that has wheels on the bottom.

"Your going to be okay, it's ok. Your strong, you can do this." My mom has a smile on her face even though her eyes tell a different story. She kisses my cheek and goes off to the waiting room.
Shawn's gives me a hard kiss as if it's our last, and I whisper 'I'll see you soon' in his ear. I can tell he's not so sure about that. As soon as I'm wheeled into the room that they will perform the surgery, I silently cry. I didn't ask for any of this.