3

With a smile on my face, I sat down at my normal lunch table in the corner. I spotted Shawn with his friends, and sighed. I should just stop now. He's too good looking for someone like me. He deserves so much more, some girl who can-

"Hey bestie!!" Emily and Kate slide themselves into the chairs on either side of me and my smile disappears. Emily, with her perfect long blonde hair, and thin figure, was the school drama queen. And Kate, well Kate basically just followed Emily around, staying silent.

"Do you need something?" I glare at Emily, using an annoyed tone.

"Yes, actually. I want you to convince that hottie, Shawn, to ask me out."

"And why would I do that? I don't even know him."

"Don't lie, you two were talking after class. And if you don't do what I ask, I'll put this up on everyone's locker." Emily smirks, slapping a picture onto the table. I must've looked horrified, because Kate shrieks in laughter.

"Um," I clear my throat, "And why do you all of a sudden have an interest in Shawn?"

"It's simple. He hasn't been in my bed yet." That's another thing about Emily; she has slept with almost every guy in our grade. She was more than just our school drama queen.

"Your gross." I roll my eyes.

"Your choice." Emily stands and leaves, sliding the picture towards my plate. I look down, contemplating if she would really put it up. I better not risk it.
----------------------------------------------
"I'm home!!" I shout and close the door. Walking into the kitchen, I see my mom making sandwiches.

"I was just about to leave for the night shift. Here's your dinner, and there's a cucumber in the fridge if you'd like to cut that up," she hurries to get the words out, grabbing her keys. She gives me a kiss on the forehead before leaving.

That's the bad thing about having one parent: my mom is never home. She works at the local animal clinic, taking every open shift she can get. I work on the weekends at the hardware store a few blocks down, but I haven't gone in a while. My dad left when I was 3, when money started being an issue. He just up and left. Mom tells me he lives in Vegas and is happily married with 2 boys. What a great dad.

Suzy creeps in the living room to her water bowl. Naturally, my mother had a talent with animals, drawing half the neighborhood cats into our crammed little apartment. No one from school knew I lived here, so everyone thought it was some crazy old cat lady who owned the place. I hated the thought of anyone finding out, and that's why I couldn't let Emily put up the picture.

I trip going up the stairs, re-twisting the ankle that Emily tripped me on. This was a great first day of the school year.