X - Spinning

DEARBORN, MICHIGAN, 1998

Ethan was just about to leave the house when Isaac returned. His eyes locked in his father’s for a few awkward seconds before he turned to look away. He paced forward to leave passing by Isaac. Suddenly, Isaac grabbed Ethan’s arm while saying, “Wait!” Ethan was shocked as he eyed his father curiously. His father quickly let go of Ethan’s arm. He then stumbled upon trying to find the right words to say.

“Ethan…” Isaac finally managed to speak. Ethan was surprised by his father’s sudden action because it’s been too long since he ever heard his father mentioned his name. Now, Ethan wasn’t sure how to react. “I need to talk to you.” Isaac continued. Then, Ethan replied, “Okay.” Ethan walked towards the couch in the living room. He then sat down followed by his father, Isaac. Then, Ethan said, “What is it you want to talk about?” With a heavy heart and a guilty face, Isaac gathered his might to speak the right words. “I know I was never a good father to you, Ethan.”

Ethan eyed him, still, wondering where this conversation was going. Had he ran out of money? Is he trying to manipulate me? These were among the questions he had in his mind. But Ethan waited for his father to finish to be sure of what was going on. Then, Isaac continued, “But I have changed. I want to make it up to you. I want you to know how sorry I am for everything I did. But most importantly, for all the things I never did for you and Carla. Things I should’ve done as your father.” Isaac looked into Ethan’s eyes that were staring back at him. He said, “Please try to forgive me.”

Then, there were silences in the room. It was almost as if the world stopped moving. Ethan was moved by what his father was saying but yet, it was so hard for him to believe that what he heard was real. At the same time, he wished that he was hearing the right thing. He really wished that his father really meant what he had just heard. Ethan wanted to know how it felt like to have a father that he could count on. Then, all he could decide was that he needed more time to think this through. So, he said, “Well, I’ve always wanted to go fishing with my father.”

Isaac eyed Ethan in awe. Isaac didn’t expect that answer from Ethan and he wasn’t sure what Ethan’s intention was in saying that. Then, Ethan continued, “Maybe you can take me fishing? Remember that lake near grandpa’s cabin?”

Isaac almost broke into tears but he held all his teardrops in his eyes a little longer as he said, “Yeah I remember.” Then, Ethan said, “Maybe we could go there tomorrow?” Precisely at that moment, tears fell down Isaac’s eyes, streaming down his cheek and he said, “Well, we have to wake up early then.” Then they both smiled looking up towards the beautiful days ahead of them. Ethan somehow wished that Carla was there to see what Isaac had become. He wanted Carla to feel as happy as he was now. He didn’t know where she was but he hoped she would come home soon. Perhaps, he can still have a family he always dreamt of having.

Ever since that moment, Ethan and Isaac had been spending quality times together, catching up on times that they had missed growing up. But then, it was time for Ethan to return to college. He was hopeful that he will received good news to get into law school soon. He hugged his father, preparing to leave the house. “I look forward to hear from you, son” Isaac said. “I’ll call when I received the good news!” Ethan said. Bianca was waiting for him in the car to take him to the airport.

As Ethan was just about to walked into the car, his cell phone rang. “Hello!” Ethan answered. A manly voice replied from the other end, “I’d like to speak with Mr. Ethan Rae Hunter.”

“Yes. Speaking.”

“I’m Detective Shaw from LAPD. I’m afraid I have bad news for you.”

“Bad news?”

“Are you related to a Miss Carla Jean Hunter?”

“Yes. She’s my sister.”

“Well, Mr. Hunter, I’m sorry to inform you that your sister is deceased. We found you to be her emergency contact. You will need to come to LA to identify her body.”

“What?”

Ethan’s body was shaking. He didn’t know what to think nor what to do. He felt a huge lose, a big hole in his heart. He never felt anything like it before. Then, he heard Detective Shaw said from the other end, “I’m sorry for your loss, Mr. Hunter.” Ethan stared at Isaac’s worried face at the door then turned to look at Bianca’s curious face at the car. He felt his world spinning. His world kept spinning and then it stopped. He stood there, motionless. Now, all he saw around him was loneliness.