I - Day One

DEARBORN, MICHIGAN, 1993

It was an epic sunny day for Ahmed Al-Zarafi as he entered the Edsel Ford High School compound. He felt lucky to be able to start his teaching career there. He graduated with a Master of Science in Astrophysics from the University of Glasgow. He’s now in his early thirties but he looked younger. His thick, curly, black hair was cut short and was worn in a carefully shaped style. His hazel eyes wandered around the school in excitement. His was tall and had a lithe build. His eyes were hazel brown and his skin was pale in yellowish color. He walked proudly throughout the hallway and became easily noticeable due to his height. He entered the principle’s office and was greeted by the principle’s admin staff. “I’m here to see Madam Klaus.” He said. The admin staff smiled and said, “You’re the new teacher, right?”

“Yes!” Ahmed returned the smile towards her.

“You may have a seat right there and I’ll let you know when she’s available.” The staff said warmly. In front of the staff’s desk was a set of cushions functioning as a waiting area. Ahmed was just about to walk towards the cushion when he heard the creak on the principle’s door and the door threw open. A boy walked out of there angrily and slammed the door behind him. The boy was small with a messy, neck-length brown hair. The boy, then, left the place with a grumpy face. Ahmed stares at the boy curiously. He wondered what could possibly have made someone so young and supposedly innocent, became as furious as that. Suddenly, the admin staff called for him; shattered all the thoughts that crossed his mind. “Sir, you may go in now.” He nodded then moved towards the principle’s room. He entered the room and smiled at Madam Klaus whom he had came to know quite well through endless discussions and interviews on the telephone. Now, finally, he met this woman, in person. She had large green eyes and a friendly smile. She asked him to have a seat. “So Ahmed, how are you feeling about today?” She asked. Ahmed smiled and said, “I have to say I’m quite excited.” Madam Klaus chuckled and said, “Then, I should get you to work.” Ahmed kept on smiling as Madam Klaus flipped through the pages of the timetable on her desk. She then exclaimed with both of her hands on the desk, “Oh! You’ll be teaching the ninth grade.”

“Great!” Ahmed said. He loved Mathematics and was glad to be offered as a Mathematic teacher. Madam Klaus then said, “You can get the materials from the room next door and Rosie, my staff, will show you where your workstation is located.” Both of them stood up and Madam Klaus handed him the timetable for his class. Later on, he walked out of the principle’s room and accompanied by Rosie, the lady at the front desk, to the teachers’ office. Once Rosie introduced him to all the teachers, she took him for a tour around the school compound. She showed him the location of classrooms, gym, cafeteria, the football field etc. It was a huge school and Ahmed became a part of it.