Playing With Your Head

Start from the beginning

"Mona. Leave her alone. She doesn't care." Trevor sighed while leaning on an entrance from the kitchen. I let my eyes make my way up his body to his face but kept my face neutral. He had a frantic look in his eyes as he stared back at me. A playback of yesterday's conversation popped into my head and I looked down at Mona.

"He's just being mean. I would love to hear you talk about your gifts." I smiled.

"Ha-ha." Mona teased, sticking her tongue out of her mouth towards Trevor. I giggled at her actions and smirked up at Trevor.

"Mona why don't you go get that toy from upstairs." Trevor urged.

"What toy?" She tilted her head.

"You know...the toy. Go get it." He glared at her. She scrambled to her feet and ran out the room.

Once she was gone Trevor looked back at me. "So...how's your Christmas going?"

"Please...don't start." I groaned.

"I didn't say anything!" He argued. I was ready to retort but snapped my mouth close when Eric entered the room.

"Hey. Merry Christmas man." Eric smiled, patting Trevor's back.

"Merry Christmas." He echoed.

Everyone gathered around the tree and drank hot chocolate and talked. Our families exchanged gifts and I was satisfied with what I chose for Trevor.

"A coloring book...?" He questioned. He examined the book with a frown and looked up at me.

"Well, I thought it would be right in line with your mental capacity." Trevor glared at my statement and began mumbling under his breath.

"Hey...I'm joking." I smirked. I pulled out another box from behind my back and gave it to him. He eyed me suspiciously and opened the box.

"Wow." He breathed lifting up his gift. "Thanks Jamie."

"It's nothing really." I shrugged. As he examined the new set of car speakers that I bought he smiled softly to himself. "Don't get too happy."

"Your gift is in my room. Follow me." Trevor stood from his spot and beckoned me up the stairs. Eric was too occupied on his phone to notice our departure from the room. We made our way up the stairs, skipping two steps at a time. As he pushed open his bedroom door the previous events of our time together came to memory. I nervously glanced at him wondering if he was recalling that night too.

"Was it really necessary to bring me up here for my gift? You couldn't have put it under the tree?" I questioned while tucking my hands in my pockets.

"Yes. It was necessary." He said while he dug in his closet. He cleared his throat and stood up, as he turned around he pushed a box into my hand. I looked down at the simple black wrapping paper and looked back at him. I made my way over to his bed and sat on the edge. I placed the box in my lap and looked at him with raised eyebrows. He was nervously staring at the box in my lap, almost deciding if he should grab it and run. I decided to tease him some more and opened the wrapping very slowly.

"Wait, I think I should go get something to drink first." I joked.

"Jesus! Jamie!" He gasped. I laughed at his expression and tossed the wrapping paper to the side. I opened up the box and pulled out the bubble wrapped item. "I-I couldn't find something to put it in properly so I just-,"

"Trevor it's fine. Relax." I gave him a stiff nod and a smile and began unwrapping the gift from the bubble. I stared down at my lap for a moment just staring at the gift.