Chapter 4|Teenagers are like a bunch of sharks

Start from the beginning

What was I doing, you might ask? I was organising my shelves. Why? I have no idea. It might have been because I saw a spider, which I squashed with my history textbook, but it didn't die because I saw it scoot into the depths of the wooden shelves next to my bed. Now there were two problems with this. One, I was terrified of spiders, I wouldn't go so far as to say I was an arachnophobic but they still scared the shit out of me. And two, Jasmine told me that the average person unintentionally ate around a pound of bugs per year. Not that I was average or that I believed her anyway, I actually thought it was complete bullshit so I googled it. Wikipedia told me that she was right. That shows you how much faith a had in my sister. I really didn't what that spider to be included in my bug quota for the year so I was trying to find it, which proved unsuccessful anyway.

In the midst of my frantic spider finding expedition there was a loud thump.

I froze. Was there a burglar in the house? Did I lock the door?

C'mon Hazel, do you think a burglar would care if the door was locked?

I shook my head as if I was shaking the stupid thought out.

I blew out a breath and went to investigate. When I reached the kitchen everything seemed to be in place and there were no smashed windows so that was a bonus.

As I entered the living room I realised what the noise was. Ryan was on the floor. Obviously he had fallen off the couch in his sleep, he was laying flat on his stomach with one arm twisted under him. And he still hadn't woken up.

I sighed out loud, rolling my eyes, thanks for the heart attack.

I grabbed a blanket from the closet in the hallway and gently draped it over him.

"Thanks Sunshine,"He said sleepily, rolling onto his side and snuggling into the blanket.

I wasn't sure if he was awake or not, but my cheeks still flooded beet red regardless.

I dragged myself back upstairs, feeling suddenly exhausted. I flopped onto my bed, no even bothering to pull the blankets over me. I fell asleep almost instantly, forgetting all my worries about bugs on shelves.

I never did find that spider.
~*~*~

I opened my eyes only to be greeted by harsh white sunlight. I quickly shut my eyes again.

Why did morning have to come so soon? I swore I only went to sleep five minutes ago.

I sat up and tried to drag a hand through my hair, which didn't turn out very well because my hair was sitting in a knotted bun on top of my head.

I swiped a hand across my face, only to find that my eyes were crusted with that gross stuff that magically appears when you sleep.

I blearily stumbled to the bathroom, swearing as I tripped on an ugly rug that mom absolutely had to have. I washed my face rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I mentally debated on whether to get changed out of the sweatpants and tank top I'd been sleeping in, but decided against it. It's my house I'll do whatever the hell I want.

There was a great smell wafting up the stairs and I was drawn to it like a magpie to something shiny. It took me five minutes to find the source of the smell, which was obviously coming from the kitchen. I wasn't the sharpest person in the world when it came to mornings.

Ryan was turned towards the stove, away from me, but his head snapped in my direction as soon as he heard me clumsily making my way to the counter.

His signature smirk appeared when he saw my amazing cavewoman state.

"Sunshine, you're awake. Good morning."

"I never understood that phrase. 'Good morning', when the hell is morning ever good?"I muttered irritably, resting my head on the cool granite countertop.