47

K A T

That picture of me looked absolutely dreadful. I could not believe that I had allowed myself to come to prom looking like fortified grease.

I knew Harry wanted to say something about how I felt about myself. I knew that he had seen the change. And lastly, I knew that it was hurting him. But I couldn't do anything about that. And it hurt me more than anything.

We got our punch and just hung out by the snack table, which I didn't even give my attention because I wanted to take those pounds I had gained and shed them off again.

Caitlyn had done her job of making me feel like I couldn't do anything I put my mind to anymore. Like I didn't even deserve Harry. He was too attractive for me, and I knew that. Sadly.

"Something on your mind?" he asked out of concern, and I could tell he already knew the answer to that. He could read me like a book; he knew me all too well.

"No." I still lied, and he gave me a look of disappointment.

"Don't listen to Caitlyn." he snapped. "She's doing this to make you believe lies about yourself."

"They're not lies." I quickly retaliated. "That's the thing about getting woken up-- you don't like it at first but then you realize it was true. And for the best."

His eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "What are you talking about, Kat?"

I sighed and took a sip of my punch. "Nothing."

Afterwards, the most requested song of the night ended. The DJ stopped the music altogether and it seemed like all eyes were glued on him.

"It's time to announce prom king and queen!" he boomed, and the whole place shook with cheers. I had a blind eye to that; it had completely slipped my mind.

But usually, as things were going, it was expected that Caitlyn would win prom queen. And she would gloat and give this glorified speech and call her all our subjects. Only to leave us all for good in the spring when we all geared off for college.

Except me. I had no places in mind. My first year in college would most likely be a year lately than everyone else.

"Who do you think is going to win?" Harry asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Caitlyn."

He nodded as if he understood my saying for guessing so. But he truly didn't.

"Prom queen is....." the DJ said slowly, and even though I usually didn't find myself interested with these kinds of things I couldn't help but feel nervous.

"Caitlyn!!!" he said without even saying her last name, because you bet that if the prom queen was a Caitlyn there could be only one who the title belonged to.

My heart sunk in my chest.

She trotted up onto the stage, already holding a bouquet of flowers. She knew she was going to win. She just knew how perfect and pretty she was, compared to me.

She was truly fit to be a queen.

"Thank you all." she gushed, her fake gratitude basically bouncing off the walls and making me want to gag. "I appreciate this and it was such a dream to be--"

She was interrupted by the doors busting open from behind all of us.

I gasped when I saw who was standing under the threshold.

"Put your hands up where I can see them."

And Harry and I's hands flew into the air without thought.

*

do you guys like the new cover?
please comment for an update :) at least someone comment for a change :(
-amira