41

K A T

It was Wednesday now. The talk of the school was mostly prom, and Harry's injury. Being talked about didn't bother me, but how people might have taken advantage of his first day back to school certainly did.

It was already lunch time before I knew it, and Harry was doing well. Thankfully his writing hand was fine, so he did work just like everyone else. He wasn't handicapped like I thought people would call him.

"Hey." he beckoned to me after algebra when the bell rang for lunch. I smiled and walked over, picking up his books and holding them for him.

We headed for the cafeteria. "How's your hand holding up?"

He smiled at me, despite the people we were walking past giving us strange looks. "Let's just say that my working hand is coming in handy." he winked, and I fought the urge to smack him for his terrible pun.

"Give me a break," I laughed.

Harry just grinned and shook his head. "You know that I'm funny. You just don't want to admit it."

"Why would I lie?" I chuckled, throwing Harry's belongings in his locker carelessly. That was a thing that the both of us had been thrown into habit of doing.

After I shut the locker we walked into the cafeteria and straight into line. "It's not a lie if I really am funny."

I rolled my eyes. "But you're not."

"But I am."

I have in and grabbed a tray for both me and Harry, which was spaghetti. I didn't even want to know what the lunch meat was made of, so I didn't think much of it as I grabbed us some crackers and an apple, along with a water bottle each.

"You're so kind." Harry mumbled, and it was hard to detect if he was using sarcasm or not. But then he said, "Carrying all my things for me. You're treating me like I'm a prince."

I smiled ahead and started to carry our trays to an empty table. "You aren't a prince, Harry." I stated. "You're a king."

"Then you're my queen." he cooed, and when we found a table we sat side by side.

Today my glasses were back, since my parents were generous enough to go out and get a new pair. It still bothered me; it really did. But I couldn't find any way around it. I had to become used to it.

"You're so cute." he laughed lowly and bopped my nose, before grabbing his fork and starting on his lunch. All I could do was stare at him, thinking of the first day he walked into class. The new kid.

"Yeah, but you're cuter." I retaliated when he handed me the apple.

"You only said that because I let you have my apple."

I looked down in defeat, but still beamed at Harry anyway. "Okay-- you may be right on that one. Doesn't mean I don't think you're cute, though."

"I know." he smiled cheesily to himself and opened his pack of crackers.

I looked down at my own try, surprised to see a brownie next to my apple. I hadn't picked up an apple while we were in line. I was trying to cut pounds, not lose them....

But like Harry said, one brownie couldn't hurt. One cookie couldn't hurt. So I was sure as hell not going to let one shrunken dress stop me from eating snacks.

I took a bite and was disgusted to say the least. It didn't even taste like a brownie; it tasted like pure paste. And to make it worse, a piece of paper filled the middle. I pulled it out of my mouth while Harry wasn't looking.