Chapter 14- A Sinner's Prayer

Start from the beginning

"Just for now. We're not going to do anything, so she doesn't need to know we're looking," he reasoned aloud.

_IUMB_

Henri honestly never been to a church before so going to Aria's church was strange. He wasn't sure of how he'd fit in among her family. Aria and Stella were teaching children's church this Sunday and Henri was relived at least he'd have Madison to keep him company. "If you want, we'll be doing our lesson in this classroom you can wait for us to bring the kids down," Aria said.

"Um, sure," Henri agreed.

"Kay," Aria gave him a peek on the lips.

"What are you doing God's watching you," he said making Aria laugh hysterically. "I'm being serious."

"I know," she giggled. "You can calm down; they won't stone us."

"How do you know," he challenged.

"Experience," she said, and Henri looked at her. He wondered how many guys had followed Aria to church on Sunday hoping to claim her heart.

"We have to go," Stella called to Aria from the door.

"This isn't over," he told her.

"I was teasing you," she said as she left.

Aria led the children back to the dining hall to where their parents waited for them. The congregation gather for refreshments after the service and everyone brought a dish. Sister Tate always brought her cornbread pudding and she'd hide a few slices in the fridge for Aria and Stella to eat while they cleaned the nursery. Stella was weaving through the crowd to get them something to drink, and Aria was trying to grab a few finger sandwiches and some of her mom's fried chicken. She made it passed the crowd and into the kitchen.

"I was hoping to run into you," David said holding the plate of cornbread pudding.

"Were you?" Aria asked staying close to the door. She didn't want a repeat of their fight in the hospital. It was weighing on her now that the nagging part of her that loved David wouldn't waver to her growing feeling for Henri.

"James told me you were teaching Maddy's class with Stella and Henri. Were you?" he asked as he approached her.

"I always teach with Stella or AJ, but Brother Tate wanted Aj with the older kids, to see if he's ready to lead the flock," she smiled.

"They are grooming him for greatness," David smiled as he gave her the plate.

"Yeah. Have a good afternoon," she said.

"I'm sorry about Whitney, I know you guys were close," David rubbed her cheek. "If you need to talk let me know."

"I should go," Aria said, but her body wouldn't move. They were just talking. They always talked. Why did this man make my will so weak?

"Go," he said as a challenge knowing she wouldn't be able to leave.

As much as he knew and wanted to go. She didn't. She couldn't. Leaving didn't feel right. Bust neither did staying. She was so confused. "How did James like AJ's lesson?" Aria asked as she sat the plates down on the counter.

"He gave AJ great reviews. Pastor Collings was with him. He said your brother was very relatable and got a lot of kids into the lesson," David smiled.

"My grandpa was helping him understand the passage he taught. I didn't get to hear much because of everything that happened," Aria said with a sad smile.

"I know nothing I say will be able to replace your friends Aria, but I am so sorry this happened to you, and Henri. I could tell he really carried about the Cornish girl."

"He did. She was like his only friend in his head," she laughed. "I just wish I could help him; I feel like he needs validation for why they did what they did. Neither of them wrote suicide letters, and he refuses to believe Ash was that in love with Cohen," she groaned.

"I'll talk to him. Sometimes he just needs to see someone understands," David smiled.

Aria laughed at his offer. "He wouldn't believe you. He thinks you hate him."

David laughed. "He knows I don't hate him. There's no reason to hate him."

"He won."

"For now," David said as he ran his fingertips down the side of her cheek. "Come to class early, I'll let you start the lesson on memory. It will help you get comfortable talking about the principles of long-term memory you're working on."

"I-You really want me to do that? I'm only an undergrad," Aria asked surprised.

"You know more than half the department about memory, sleep, and the cognitive process involved. You'll do great. You do have my slides, right?"

"Of course, I'm an overachiever," she agreed.

"Good, I'll co-teach it with you for the 9:45 and after that you're on your own."

"Wait you want me to teach all the sections?"

"Yeah to make it cohesive and you'll have to do Wednesday's lesson too."

"Oh my God David, thank you," Aria said jumping into his arms.

"Ari what's taking sooo-so long?" Stella said looking at them and trying to act unaffected by how close they were.

"My apologizes," David smiled at her. "I didn't intend to keep Aria long."

"It's cool Dr. Stein. You know I really liked your wife's dress; do you know where she got it from?" Stella inquired sounding innocent to David, but her question sparked Aria's senses.

"You know I don't know, I'll make sure to ask her for you," he smiled and walked away.

"Nothing happened," Aria said her eyes cut at Stella.

"I never said anything happened Ari," Stella laughed as she turned to leave.

"Ok," Aria said grabbing the two plates and made her way back to Henri.