2

"Nicole Summers?" Ms. Pearson called out, staring at her clipboard.

"Here," I quietly said, trying not to bring too much attention to myself.

"Shawn Mendes?" our teacher called out again.

"Here," said a sweet voice behind me.
I took a quick glance at the desk in back of me and immediately wish I hadn't. It was him. My cheeks flared red, as I covered them with my hands, trying to hide it. So, his name was Shawn... It fit his soft brown hair and gentle brown eyes.
----------------------------------------------
By the time class was over, I was half asleep and still nervous about my awkward "checking out Shawn" moment. I stand up quickly as the bell rang, gathering my things. Next thing I knew, my face was flat on the floor.

I look up at the smirking face of  Emily Meyers, my evil nemesis. She steps over me with a successful look in her eyes with her sidekick, Kate Pierce, not far behind.

"Are you alright?" Shawn worries and puts out his hand. It takes me a second to process what just happened. 

"I- uh, I'm- yea- um, thanks," I stutter, blushing furiously.

"Bye loser! Oh, and by the way, nice shoes! Where can I get some?" Emily sneers, laughing as she walks out of the class. 'Bitch' I mumble. Yes, my shoes are old but they could be worse... I guess. I wore the same old gray converse to school everyday. The soles are a little worn out, and the fabric is more brown in places than gray, but at least I had shoes on my feet.

"Don't let her get to you, she only wants attention. Ignore her and she'll go away eventually." Shawn advises, pulling me up off the floor. I straighten out my flannel and pull down my beanie. I never talk to guys much, so this was a first.

"Eventually" I huff, nervously going on. "She's been pushing me around since 3rd grade. You'd think now that we're seniors, she'd find something better to do than pick on lonely peasants..." Shawn chuckles softly before grabbing his books.

"Hey, don't look at yourself that way though, okay? She may think your low because she wears 200 dollar shirts, but I like your style. Most girls feel the need to dress to impress guys. You, you dress in leggings, a t-shirt, a flannel, and a beanie everyday. Not to impress, but because you like it. It's different. I like it." Shawn stumbles over his words a bit and  gives me a small smile before jogging out of the room to catch up to his friends. Did Shawn Mendes just tell me he likes my style? He actually pays attention? For the first time, I felt somewhat noticed.