Chapter 21: The Date Part 2

They finally arrived at their destination, and Aurora had to do a double take. They pulled up into the
parking lot of... Gilbert's Lodge.

Aurora was internally panicking. She could feel her heart rate quicken and her breaths become shallower. If she saw Marshall, or vice versa... she couldn't even begin to fathom what she'd do. As much as she hated to admit it, the kiss was a mistake. It caused newfound awkwardness between them, and put a stain on their almost pristine relationship. It not only came in between them, it also divided them. The cringeworthy note that they left on was enough to stop one from communicating with the other. She really hoped he was working in the back, washing dishes or mopping, instead of being a waiter.

"So, is there any reason why you chose Gilbert's Lodge?" she asked Kaleb, trying to get a reasonable answer out of him.

"Well, my sis comes here all the time and she said the food here's real good, so why not, y'know?" he replied. "Why'd you ask? Is here a problem?" he looked at her in worry.

It's not like my friend who works here kissed me the other day, after telling me his girlfriend broke up with him, and now we aren't on speaking terms.

Aurora shook off her thoughts. "No! No, no, here's fine. I was just... curious why you chose here, that's all." she quickly explained.

"If you say so." he smiled at her. They got out of the car, and he locked it. They started making their way to the entrance of the restaurant, Kaleb walking a little ahead of Aurora. She realised how talk he was, looking like he was well over six feet tall, compared to her petite five and a half foot frame.

Gilbert's Lodge had the atmosphere of a lodge indeed. The walls were brick at the bottom, and wood panels at the top. There were also various moose heads that were hung up. Several fireplaces were scattered around the restaurant, but none of them were in use since it was summertime. Wooden tables and chairs were arranged neatly into isles. Lights hanging from the ceiling as well as solar light illuminated the room, giving off a homey vibe. A considerable amount of people filled the restaurant, mostly families, to enjoy their lunch in a cozy setting.

Kaleb led Aurora to a table with a bench on one side, and chairs on the other. He was gentleman enough to pull out the chair for her, before he sat on the bench. Aurora thanked him, and sat down herself too, setting her wallet and keys on the table. Her mouth watered in hunger. They both picked up the menus, scanning over what to order.

"What are you feelin'?" Kaleb questioned Aurora.

"I could kill for some wings right now." Aurora said, with a laugh.

Kaleb chuckled back. "Haha, really? A quesadilla or a sandwich sounds good right now."

"Decisions, decisions." she sighed.

"Yeah, I'm not real good at makin' decisions."

While they were busy looking at their options, a waitress approached them.

"Hi, my name is Kelly, I'm going to be your waitress for today! Do you guys want some water while you're ordering ?" she asked, her bubbly personality shining through.

Kaleb looked at Aurora, who nodded in confirmation. "Yes, please. Thank you." he replied.

The waitress smiled brightly and went to go retrieve the water, a little skip in her step.

Kaleb turned back to Aurora. "So, you lived in Michigan your whole life?"

"Uh, no, I actually moved here from California almost a year ago." she said.

That piqued his interest. "California? What part you from?"

"So Cal, in L.A."

"Do you like L.A. more, or Detroit?"