Chapter 13: The Performance

A week and a half later, Friday February 13th, the day of the performance came. Aurora had managed to get Nate a set of Hot Wheels for his birthday on the 3rd and she and her Mom were on their way to the the New Center building in downtown Detroit. Aurora's leg was shaking and she drumming her fingertips against her thigh.

"Aurora, you okay?" her mom asked, noticing her daughter's repetitive habit.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little nervous." Aurora said. That was the greatest understatement of 1990. She was so nervous that her heart was racing and thumping so loudly that she could hear it in her ears.

"Honey, it's natural to be nervous. And don't worry, you'll be just fine." Sarah said, giving her daughter a reassuring look. Aurora sighed quietly took a few deep breaths. They finally arrived at the building and Aurora carried her dance bag over her shoulder. Inside the building, Sarah wished her luck as they split ways and went to join the other parents in the audience at the front. DeShaun and Marshall were also seated in the audience, two rows behind the first row.

"Think she's gonna kill it?" DeShaun asked Marshall.

"She's not gonna kill it." Marshall replied. DeShaun have him a dirty look. "She's gonna fucking slaughter it. She's gonna murder that motherfuckin' stage." he finished. "Yo, I got you. You believed me at first huh?" he asked smiling. DeShaun laughed.

"Yeah you got me. I was about to hurt you motherfucker. You was about to get it."

*

The girls, along with Miss Giselle, were in one of the many huge hair/makeup/costume rooms getting a good stretch before they performed.

"I'm so nervous." Aurora mumbled quietly to Tanya, as she was stretching her hamstring.

"Girl, don't be. Just do exactly what we've been practicing and you'll be fine. What are you scared of?" Tanya reassured, coming out of the splits position.

"I'm scared of messing up and forgetting the moves. And we're doing a lot of stunts. What if I totally fail?" Both by now had completely abandoned their stretching.

"I honestly doubt that you will. And even if you do, you know what they say: 'The show must go on'."
Aurora still didn't look convinced, nor did that statement do anything to help her nerves in the slightest. Tanya took a deep breath.

"Ok, to be completely honest, I think that you're one of the best dancers on the team, if not the best. You haven't danced in years, but trust me, that doesn't show. We've been doing really hard practices and you've adapted so quickly. And I know your dad isn't here physically, but he's watching from above in spirit and I don't think he would want you doubting yourself. Now turn that damn frown upside down because we're about to kill this motherfuckin' performance."

Aurora smiled, a little bit teary-eyed, and thanked her.

"A, don't cry. You're gonna ruin your makeup." Tanya said, making Aurora laugh.

"Yo, what with all this talking back and forth? Y'all need to stretch." Chantelle asked.

"Nothing, just trynna cheer up Miserella over here." Tanya motioned to Aurora. Chantelle giggled at the nickname.

"Miserella? A, you straight?" Bri asked.

"I'm fine, it's just nerves." Aurora said, shaking her head.

"Just use the adrenaline to perform even harder, ok?"

Aurora smiled at Bri and nodded. The latter along with Chantelle, Tanya, Aurora and the rest of the team started to put on their outfits after they finished stretching. Their outfits consisted of a bandana wrapped around the head, a jean vest over a camisole, leggings and Chucks. Everyone had different coloured leggings, bandanas and camisoles, so they could be told apart. They were all helping each other get ready.

"Can someone help me with my hair?" Aurora asked, after struggling to do the complicated bun.

"Here, I can do it." Chantelle said. "You need to just a lot of hair tyes, to make sure it's secure." she instructed, showing her in the mirror.

"Thanks!" Aurora said once Chantelle finished.

*

"I know it's our first performance of the year, but we're gonna go in there and danced like our life is on the line. Like people from Juilliard are watching. Y'all hear me?" Miss Giselle asked her girls. The girls nodded in approval and they all made the way backstage, as the younger division's performance was finishing up. Miss Giselle made her way to the audience as the announcer, Debra White-Hunt who was actually the owner of Detroit-Windsor Dance Academy, announced them. The curtains opened and they went on stage and and formed a line while waiting for a remix of the song "Crazy Noise" by Stezo to start. Aurora was overwhelmed by how many people were in the audience. When the song started, every single dancer exploded with energy.

The dance moves in the beginning were sharp and quick, and very sudden so the audience members were not expecting as to what would happen next. As they were dancing, Aurora's nerves lessened and lessened. The dancers partnered up and played the hand clapping game "Slide" in sync then they switched sides. In the middle of the routine was where there were a lot of stunts. The girls formed a stable pyramid like a cheerleading squad, which the audience cheered for. After, a few of the girls, including Aurora, did a back handspring into a back tuck earning 'ooos' and 'aahs' from the audience while the other girls continued on with the dance moves. Then, they all started to act like robots, with slow, controlled movements, alternating from the robotic movements to regular paced dancing a couple times. The dance ended with every dancer dropping to the floor with one leg extended and the other bent. The audience erupted into applause like a volcano, and many people gave standing ovations.

"Yeah baby girl!" Marshall yelled standing up with his hands cupped around his mouth. DeShaun was standing next to him, cheering as loud as he could as well. Sarah in the front row, along with the other parents, stood and cheered for her daughter. The dancers stood up with big smiles on their faces and went backstage. The curtains closed, signalling the end of the performance.

A/N: pic is of tanya & aurora. thanks you guys so so much for 1K & for reading, commenting & voting!😘😘😘❤❤❤ sorry for the late & short update! i have the next chapter partially typed so the update will be much sooner 😄!