Chapter 3: Troubles

"Who was that?" Brett asked Aurora as she walked in. Is this a déjà vu?, Aurora asked herself.

"Just a friend." Aurora said nonchalantly.

"What did I tell you? I don't want you around any boys! You were gonna fuck him later, huh? Like the little slut you are!"

As his voice rose, he got closer and closer to her."I don't like being disobeyed." his voice was frighteningly low. Aurora's eyes widened in fear and she took a few steps back. Next thing she knew, a fist came flying at her face, hitting her in the temple and she collapsed to the floor. Black spots filled her visioned and her eyes slowly closed.

*

"You've lost me my husband! You ungrateful, worthless girl! After everything he's done for you? You little slut!" Sarah screamed at Aurora, after Aurora had woken up. Aurora's head still hurt and her eyes teared up. She ran upstairs and did something she thought she'd never do again. She searched for her razor blade.

She slashed the blade furiously across her wrist, her tears mixing with the blood. Her wrist was covered in bloody lines. Why did her mom hate her so much? Ever since her dad died her mom has been awful to her and it worsened when Brett came along. She didn't know what she did to deserve this. After crying so hard, her eyes were tired and she fell asleep.

"Now clap your hands on your thighs, stomp your feet, and drop to the floor."

"Like that? Did I do it right?"

"Perfect. Now get up and let's start from the top."

She did the routine.

"Good job, baby girl! You're so talented!"

"I only learned from the best, daddy."

"Awww. I love you baby."

"I love you too daddy."

Aurora woke up suddenly, with more tears rolling down her cheeks.
I love you daddy. I just wish mom loved me too.

*

"I told you, man!" Proof exclaimed as he took a drag of the blunt. He passed it to Marshall, who inhaled and exhaled slowly.

"Yeah she's pretty but I don't like her like that. But I feel like we'll be good friends." Marshall said, taking one last hit of the blunt, then he stomped on it.

"So you won't go for her, then?"

"Man I don't think so... I know me and Kim ain't been together for that long or shit yet but..." Marshall trailed off.

"Man fuck Kim! I don't know why you're even wasting your time on that bitch! She's almost three years younger than you, she's clingy, and she's hella possessive!"

"Well I feel somethin' strong for Kim, and I'm just gonna see where it goes."

"Whatever. But I still don't think Kim is good for you." DeShaun said, their little row coming to an end.

*

The next day came and Aurora had to figure out what to do with the reopened cuts on her wrist, and the purple and blue bruise on her temple. Since she didn't have foundation, she had no choice but to part her hair to the side and hope that it concealed the bruise.

Sarah wasn't there where she went to the kitchen, and come to think about it, she didn't hear any noise in the house after Sarah yelled at her the previous day. Aurora walked to school, finally knowing where she was going. The first half of the school day was uneventful. At lunchtime, she met up with Marshall.