Chapter 15: Guess Who's Back

"Aurora, Marshall's here for you!" Sarah shouted at her daughter from downstairs. Aurora pulled off her headset and rushed down the steps. Marshall was standing in the living room, dressed in his work clothes. When he saw her, he immediately wrapped his arms around her frame, embracing her.

"Marshall, hey, what's up?" Aurora questioned slightly confused. He let out a long sigh prior to replying.

"Long day at work."

"Here, let's go to my room to talk." Aurora said. Sarah gave her daughter a look before turning back to watching her soap opera TV show.

Once they were in her room, Aurora sat on her bed, her back leaning against the wall and patted the space next to her. Marshall took off his work shirt, leaving him in a white wife beater, before sitting down next to her.

"What's up?" Aurora asked, taking his hand in hers.

"Being paid $5.50 an hour for washing dishes for eight hours is fucking hell. And having a bitch ass boss makes it even worse. And on top of that, my mom won $700 at Bingo."

"Marshall, that's great!"

"But she spent most of it on pills. Fucking pills. When she knows we have a three thousand dollar hospital bill to pay."

Aurora's heart dropped. "You're shitting me?"

"I wish I was. And literally all we do is argue now. Our yelling put together... could form an atomic bomb.

Aurora observed him. Just the manner of which he was talking, he looked so stressed, and there were slight bags beneath his eyes. She drew him into a hug, his face buried in the crook of her neck. He inhaled deeply, breathing in her sweet rosemary scent. When they pulled away, Marshall rested his forehead against hers.

"Just talking to you makes me feel better though." he murmured. He interlocked their fingers together and kissed her hand.

Aurora could feel the room increasingly and rapidly getting warmer and warmer and her mouth felt as dry as the Sahara. She licked her lips, in an attempt to add some moisture to her mouth.

"Hey, I'm gonna go get water. You want some?" she asked.

"Yeah, thanks."

With that, Aurora left her room and on her way downstairs, she could hear conversation between her mom and someone else coming from the living room. She listened closer and it was a masculine voice. It sounded like... Brett. She went to the room and her suspicions were confirmed. Him and her mom were talking back and forth and with a stack of papers in front of them. Neither Brett nor Sarah had yet to notice Aurora's presence.

"What are you doing here? Mom, what's he doing here?!" she asked. Both turned their heads to look at her.

"Oh, we're discussing divorce matters, hon." Sarah answered.

"But what's he doing here?!"

"Oh, nice to see you too Aurora." Brett said.

"Oh, why don't you go jump off a cliff." she retorted, rolling her eyes.

"Sarah, can we have a moment?" Brett asked.

She looked at him dubiously. "You better not try anything. If you do, I won't hesitate to call the police." she said, before leaving.

"I heard about what happened to your little friend." He stated, once Sarah left. Aurora looked at him.

"How do you know about that?" se questioned. Brett shook his head, and chuckled, a deep an hollow sound coming from his throat that made Aurora feel slightly uneasy.