three.

"Cris, are you awake?" I hear a soft voice in my hear. A spark of energy runs through my veins, curious to who the voice belongs to. I struggle to open my eyes, but finally I force them open and hope to see my rescuer's face, but I see Dan. 

Once he realizes that my eyes are opening, he calls Katie of and puts his hand on my forehead. "Oh my god, Cris you scared the shit out of us!" Katie says in a motherly tone. "I'm okay." I reassure them. "What the hell happened? How did you get a burn like that? It's 3rd degree all over your stomach." Dan says worriedly. 

"I don't remember anything that happened last night, I don't even remember the person that got me here." I tell them. "They won't tell us who dropped you off, who saved your life." Katie says annoyed. Just then a doctor comes in, I assume to check on me. 

"Cristina, how are you feeling?" She asks cheerily. "Okay." I tell her. "Well your brother and sister are going to stay here with you in the ICU for a little while longer. The hard part is over, your surgery went well, but I will tell you that you are lucky to be alive." She informs me. They're pretty good liars, Dan and Katie. They knew being family was the only way to get in here. I'm just glad they didn't call my step father.

"Were there any complications?" Katie asks the doctor. "Yes." She nods and turns to look at me. "Your heart did stop completely for about two minutes and thirty seven seconds, before we were able to revive you. You are on a series of pain killers and antibiotics to help with the burn and to help keep your heart beating." She smiles. 

"Fuck." Dan mutters. The doctor shoots him a disapproving look. "Sorry." He says and raises his hands in surrender. "Alright, you should get some rest. But I can't help but notice that your parents aren't here. Were they notified?" She asks me. 

I look at Katie and Dan for an answer, and Katie speaks up. "I called your home phone, I thought maybe your mom or step father would be home, but no one answered." She tells me. "Dan, what time is it?" I ask, my heart rate spiking. "It's 4 am, why?" 

"I need to get home. Now." I tell him and attempt to get out of my bed.

"Woah, woah, woah. Not a good idea. You just underwent a major surgery and have third degree burns that still need to be tended to. You need to stay here." The doctor says strongly. "No, you don't understand, I need to go home." I stress. If my step monster catches me and I'm not in bed when he unlocks my door, I'm dead. Literally. 

"Why? What's going on?" Katie asks confused. "Listen, if you just take me home for a few hours to get some things and then you can take me back here to get my burn treated. As long as we're home before 6 pm later. Okay? Can we do that?" I ask, getting nervous. 

Katie looks at the doctor and she looks at me. "It's risky, but we can't hold you here. Please come back in a few hours. We did most of the treatment for your burns, but the last stage is crucial to your recovery." She warns. 

"Cris, this is so stupid! You could have a stroke, or something. You could get worse!" Dan says in a harsh tone. "Dan, I don't expect you to understa-" "No you don't understand! You almost died, a few hours ago. Hell, you actually did die! For two minutes sad thirty seven seconds!" He continues, getting angry. 

"Katie, please. Take me home. I need to go home, just for a few hours. Then I'll come back and finish the treatment. I promise. Just, please." I beg her. She looks away and takes a moment to think. "Fine. I'll drive you. What time are we leaving?" She asks. 

"As soon as possible." I tell her and start to get out of my bed again. "I can't believe this. You two are being so, so, irrational!" Dan yells at us. He rushes over to the side of my bed and helps me up. "Just tell me why, so I can understand. Why are you potentially risking your entire recovery to go home for a few hours?!" He says in my face.