Chapter 51

You usually have to book in advance for getting blood tests, let alone DNA tests, but the hospital was rarely busy. As usual, the hospital was practically empty. Ella, being the organised person she is, managed to sign everything that needed signing within five minutes. Twenty minutes later, at half past three, I was in a typical white hospital room that smelt of disinfectant having blood taken. I didn't like needles, but bit my lip and persevered. I couldn't wait to finally get real answers.

Once me, Byron, and Ella had all had our blood taken, we made our way back to the waiting room where Aria and Mike had been patiently waiting. The waiting room was near enough empty. Other than us, there was one old lady reading a magazine and pulling horrified faces at the bikini model on the front cover, and there was a younger man reading a newspaper in the far corner.

"I'm going to go and see if we can leave now." Ella told the four of us as she stood up from her plastic seat. She marched over to the front desk while the rest of us sat in silence. Everything was so quiet that I felt like talking wouldn't cause echoes throughout the whole building. It wasn't too quiet for long, because a few minutes later Ella returned.

"Any news?" I asked, hopeful that the tests had miraculously been done in such a small amount of time.

"We can go. I have the woman behind the desk my email, as no calls are coming through in England. She said the results would be with us within a week, so I'm hoping sooner rather than later." Ella was very informative with her mini speech. Ella didn't sit back down, as we all got up, grabbed our bags, and headed towards the exit.

"Nancy." I heard my adoptive mother's voice from outside the automatic doors.

"Hello." I said with slight confusion in my voice on why she was here. As she has known me my entire life, she knew what I meant.

"I'm sorry for how rude I was earlier. I've just been stressed since you left, and then finding out what happened to you. I've missed you  and I do love you." Her eyes were glassy, but she wasn't crying yet. All the guilt of leaving flooded back and I pulled my adoptive mother into a hug. As much as we were different, I did love her. It would be hard not to love someone that had cared for you almost your entire life.

We didn't need to call a taxi to take us back to the cottage, as Carol had traveled here in her minibus. All 6 of us managed to squeeze into the battered old bus and arrive back safely.

//sorry for this chapter being so short, but I'm tired and feel like I haven't updated in ages. Please make sure to vote and comment if you like my story.//