Chapter 65

"What do you mean Byron's gone?" I asked.

"I mean there was a note on the table saying 'I won't be home for a while' and he's not here." Ella answered. You could see Ella was panicking. You could see how worried she was by how she was frowning slighly and her lip was between her teeth. Her and Byron were divorced now, but they had spent over half of their life together, so she obviously still cared about him.

We were all worried, but worrying didn't get us a day off school. I threw one a random pair of skinny jeans and a pretty turqoise top. I looked like a had planned my outfit, but it was really just the first thing I saw. I did my makeup looking natural, as my skin was surprisingly clear today. I then struggled to put my hair into two French braids. Thankfully the hairstyle was a success, despite the fact I couldn't see the back of my head while braiding. I forced my feet into a pair of black converse, refusing to undo the shoe laces. Lastly, I grabbed my leather jacket and school bag before making my way downstairs.

I'm the kitchen, Mike's bowl contained 50% of the world's supply of lucky charms. It was a wonder how the milk didn't overflow onto the table. Ella was leaning against a counter, staring at a wall and biting her nails. I had to walk past Ella to reach the toaster, breaking the staring contest between my mother and the grey painted wall. We exchanged smiles while I waited for my bread to become toast. The kitchen was unusually quiet, as most days we are chatting between every mouthful of our meal. Today rhe only sounds were the crunching of toast or the clinking sound of a spoon hitting a cereal bowl.

Twenty minutes later I was sitting outside school with Aria. The bell wasn't due to ring for another quarter of an hour, but Ella was driving to school. Being the lazy person I am, I took this opportunity to avoid walking.

"Hey look, it's your boyfriend." Aria said before taking a sip of her coffee. I glanced towards where she was looking to see Isaac Harvey, the boy who stopped my yesterday. I recognised his big blue eyes, but from someone else. I must have been squinting at him as I tried to find out who he reminded me of, and he noticed the funny look I was giving.

"He's not my boyfriend, Aria." I said, turning to look at my sister.

"He is in love with you!" Aria protested, emphasising on the 'O' of the word 'Love' and making the single letter go on for about five seconds.

"Who's in love with who?" Emily, as if from nowhere, sat down next to me. Neither me or Aria had noticed her sneaking up towards our table.

"Nancy had a boyfriend." Aria said bluntly, leaning on her hand to face the tallest brunette at the table.

"I had a boyfriend once." Emily told us in a very matter-of-factly time, causing us all to smile.

"Would you like a trophy." I asked Emily rhetorically. "And anyway, he's not my boyfriend. Just because I talk to one of the billions of males on the planet doesn't mean I am in love."

"Nancy, I don't even know who you're talking about but I can tell you like him." Emily said.

"Oh look! There's Vanessa, bye!" I got up from the table, sarcastically waved at Emily and Aria, and then walked towards my new friend. I was so glad that Vanessa arrived when she had done, so that I could get away from that conversation.

"Hey." I said when I was within a metre of Vanessa.

"Hi Nancy." She replied. Our conversation was interrupted by the school bell before it had even started.

After registration, my first lesson was Art. It was trial and error with finding my art class, so I made it to the lesson a couple of minutes late. As I was new, the teacher didn't tell me off. Instead, she gave me a mosaic, modern art style map of the school that took from a pile on her desk. It made me laugh that she was so prepared, but a map would come in handy.

"Right then Nancy, where can you sit?" The teacher looked around the classroom until she spotted a spare seat on a table at the back of the room.

There were four seats on the square shaped table. Next to my seat say a pretty girl with long blonde hair braided down her back. Opposite say a wannabe emo boy with his hair covering his face and Isaac Harvey.

"I told you I was in your class." Isaac said once I had taken my seat.

"I believed you." I replied. I then began to search through my bag for my pencil case. Everyone was drawing portraits, but I didn't know if there was a specific theme or you just drew whoever you wanted. The girl sitting to my right, who I later found out was called Chloe, saw me looking lost and told that we were drawing a picture of somebody we loved. I looked around the table to see the what everyone else was drawing before starting my picture. Chloe looked like she was drawing a mini version of herself, which I presumed was a younger sister. The wannabe emo was drawing an elderly man with a tangled beard, and Isaac looked like he was drawing the teacher. Our teacher looked to be in her late thirties, so I was guessing that his love for our art teacher was not an Aria-and-Ezra type of situation.

"Mrs Harvey is my mom." Isaac said. For the second time today he must have seen my frowning in his direction.

"50% of the people on this table have mothers teaching here then." I said.

"You're Mrs Montgomery's secret kid?" The wannabe emo asked.

"Yeah, only I wasn't a secret." I decided I should just get it over with and give them the entire story of what has happened. I didn't get upset of emotional about it, so there's no reason why I shoudnt bore my new classmates to death with my life story.