Chapter 50

"Would you like a drink? We have tea or coffee." Asked my adoptive father, John. Are you having a laugh? This was one of the most surreal and unexpected situations I could imagine, and the adults seemed to be acting like we'd just come in to catch up and say hello.

After a quarter of an hour of small talk, I couldn't take it anymore. Me, Mike and Aria had been sitting in the dining room since we arrived. We could have been chatting, but instead we sat in silence listening to the four adults talking about unimportant issues. I stood up workout any warning and walked into the living room.

"I think there's more important things to talk about that the rain." I interrupted from the doorway, trying my best not to make eye contact with anyone in the room. I stared strait ahead of me, which happened to be at a framed photo of six-year-old Nancy hanging on the wall. "I'm trying to prove that Ella and Byron are my parents, which is highly unlikely to happen if all you discuss is this week's weather forecast.

I turned to join my siblings in the next room, but was interrupted.

"If this is about you, I think you should be included in the discussion." My adoptive mother, Carol said. She had a fake smile painted on, and was she only person in the whole house who was smiling. She patted the space on the sofa next to her, but I chose to sit in the armchair. This way, I wouldn't look look I was taking sides.

"In my late teens, I had some surgery around my pelvis," Carol, my adoptive mother began to explain. "The surgery was successful, but caused some other damage. Before I had chance to have a child, I was infertile. When John and I had been married for about a year, we applied to adopt a baby. Adoption agencies never got in touch, and we found ourselves reapplying and calling people who could help all the time."

John, my adoptive father, could see how upset his over emotional wife was getting with the subject, and decided to intervene.

"One day, out of the blue, as finally for someone who was helping. We were told a one-week-old baby named Nancy had been abandoned and needed an immediate home. The person contacting us informed us that the two of us and our home wouldn't need to be checked, which now does sound a little suspicious. At the time, we were overjoyed and couldn't wait to meet out baby girl." It was surreal hearing the man I had grown up being slightly scared of speak so lovingly, like a tear could roll down his cheek any second.

"I understand all this, but I would never give my child up." Ella began to explain.

"Have you done a DNA test yet?" Carol interrupted.

"Well, not yet." Ella replied.

"Well how can you know for sure Nancy is yours? Even if and is blood related to you, we are legally her parents." Carol told Ella bluntly. Ella looked physically hurt by the comment, whereas Carol looked somewhat proud of hurting Ella's feelings. It was like being in mean girls, parent edition. "Why don't you go and get a DNA test now? The nearest hospital isn't too far."