19

Weeks Later

The last few weeks have been rough. That's all I can properly say.

There has been screaming, crying, door-slamming, forgiving, hugging. Silence, especially silence.

Our arguments usually generate after a rough day at work for Ross, me being questioned about Aria (still), and my pos-natal check ups. They still sting, especially when seeing all mothers bringing their babies with them, and me not being able to do so because my baby died not even a day after its birth.

I still remember every inch of her face. How her cheeks were rosy, her little nose shiny at the tip and her eyes wide, a wild mix of green and brown like her Dad's.

Speaking of which, he's been working overtime as since the 4th July disaster (induced by yours truly -_-), it's all gone downhill.

I was sat on the counter with a cup of tea when he made his way inside, huffing and puffing as usual. "Hello"

"Hi" I smiled to him, trying to keep at least tonight peaceful. "How are you?"

"Alright, how are you?" He asked, placing a kiss on my cheek.

"The same" I shrugged. "Would you like something to eat?"

"No, no, I think it's a bath and bed kind of night; I feel a cold coming through also" he sighed. "I might not go in tomorrow"

"I could make you some tea?"

"Thank you" Ross smiled, squeezing my knee one last time before walking upstairs. I wanted to avoid the subject, but my mouth beat me to it.

"Wait"

He turned at once, concerned. "Is everything okay?"

"I need to speak to you"

He came down the steps slowly, stopping in front of me curiously. I bit the inside of my cheek awkwardly.

"Charlie babe, are you sure you're okay? You're pale" Ross' hand came in contact with my knee.

"Have you noticed that, I don't know" I paused. "We're kind of drifting apart? Maybe I'm being an idiot but, after all these fights, it feels like we're not as close as we used to be"

"You noticed as well?"

I nodded, sighing. "I just can't see where we went wrong. It was all sailing rather smoothly"

"Let's get away; go on holiday together. That may help" he suggested.

"That would be avoiding the problem, as much as I want to go back to Hawaii, but still, and you have work" I breathed out. "And I'll have work soon"

He stopped, tilting his head confused. "What do you mean? You work online?"

"Vogue wants me up in New York, they want to move me up to chief editor" I played with my fingers. "I haven't taken it, but I have a couple of days to decide"

"Take it! We can make long distance work. Or I could try and expand to New York" Ross suggested. "If I've done it in Europe I can surely take on America"

"I-" my sentence was cut off by my phone buzzing beside me. I picked up, Gail's scream echoing around the kitchen.

"What's up?"

"Your photoshoot is out! And let me tell you now, people are loving it" she told me. "I emailed you the photos of it, and I have a surprise for you but I need to confirm it before I can- never mind- so ABC is starting a new sitcom deal and they want you as the star of the show"

"Gail! I don't know how to act!" I shrieked.

"You do now" she hissed then screamed again. Ross looked beyond proud, now leaving kisses all over my face which caused me to giggle. "But there is a slight drawback to this"

"Which is?"

"The show is set in New York; so you'll either have to move or fly back and forth daily"

The kisses on my face stopped, and we exchanged a long look. It broke me, especially because this is the most hurt Ross has looked since Aria died.

"I-I don't know-"

"You don't have to know. They want you to take a trip out to New York in the next few days" she said. "Should I agree to that"

"Yes" Ross took the phone from me. "Agree to the trip, then she can make her mind up"

I couldn't help but feel like that was indirectly to me.

"Swell, bye guys!" Gail then hung up.
Ross smiled at me.

"Ross, I-" he pulled me into a long hug. "Okay"

"Shut up woman" he laughed. "I'm so proud of you, baby"

"Thank you" I finally returned the hug. "It means a lot"

filler chapter but watch as shit goes down