Dís shrugged her shoulders. "No dwarf ever considered to shave her legs."

"Then why are you?" Arwen asked friendly. "You will always be a dwarf, Dís. You don't have to look different because you're living with us. We accept you as you are. You're my friend, whatever you look like." She sighed. "But you don't look happy in this dress and with that straight hair."

Dís stared at her feet. Maybe Arwen didn't mind what she looked like, but others might.

"Did you ever had feelings for someone, Arwen?" he asked hesitantly. She wanted her friend to understand her.

Arwen shook her head in surprise. "No?"

Dís' glance returned to the floor. "If you do, you want to look pretty."

"I can imagine." For a moment Arwen was silent, then she laid a hand on Dis' knee and squeezed. "Do you have feelings for someone?"

"Maybe," Dís muttered. Even though she was no longer doubting her feelings, it was hard to admit.

"That's wonderful! It will do you good. Are the feelings mutual?"

Her enthusiasm made her laugh, even though the answer hurt. "No," she muttered. "A miracle has to happen first."

"Try to stop those negative thoughts, Dís. These have never helped anyone. How can you be so sure he's not interested in you?"

Dís shrugged her shoulders. She opted to say as little about it as possible, so she couldn't slip up. "I'm a dwarf."

"And you think all elves are so shortsighted that they rule out a relationship with a dwarf immediately?" Arwen asked, raising a brow.

Dís bent her head, staring crestfallen at the floor. "No," she muttered. "But it's just..." She didn't know what more to say. She believed an elf could fall in love with her, theoretically, but not Lord Elrond.

"I just don't know. Only thinking of him gives me the feeling I'm betraying Famin."

"It might me quick," Arwen admitted. "But time is only a word. You've processed a lot the past months." She covered Dís' hand with her own. "And I'm sure Famin wants you to become happy again."

Dís bit the inside of her cheek. Should she tell Arwen? Then her friend would understand why there was no future for them. He however was her father...

"Maybe I can put in a good word," Arwen smiled, as if she'd read her thoughts. "That is, if you want to tell me who it is?"

Dís' eyes nervously darted across the room. "I – I don't think I'm ready to share it with someone," she murmured.

"I don't mind," Arwen answered. "You want to come with me to my house so we can reassure Kíli?"

Dís took a deep breath. Right now, she really didn't want to see Lord Elrond. She never wanted to look him in the eye again.

"Can you get him?" she murmured.

Arwen gave her a surprised look, studying her face. Dís' cheeks started to glow; nervously she fidgeted with her fingernails.

"He works or lives in the palace, is he not?"

A mischievous smile adorned the face of the elf, although Dís didn't understand why. Ashamed, she stared at the floor. "Yes."

"Maybe things aren't as hopeless as you think," Arwen entrusted her with a knowing look.

Her intrusive look seemed to suffocate Dís. What was Arwen trying to tell her?