006

. . .

THORIN

. . .

The light of the stars fell upon them. The elves and the four dwarfs looked up along the with flowers adorned arches, to the endless dome that crowned their world.

Thorin imagined his brother to be between those stars. What would he think when he would look down on them now? Did he believe it was a courageous decision he had joined the elves, so that their sister was safe? Or had Thorin disappointed him, for he hadn't gone looking for their father?

The thoughts about his father were painful. The ignorance sometimes hunted him. Was his father still alive? Was his life among the elves an escape from his obligations? Wasn't it about time he started to look for him, to at least discover what had happened to him?

Thorin found it difficult. Although Dís started to feel better, he was afraid she would collapse when he told her he was about to leave. He knew she wanted their father to be found, but his sister had lost the hope that he was still alive a long time ago, so that she was solely afraid that she would be abandoned once again. That he would leave this world as well, without saying goodbye. Always longing for a last embrace, for the perfect words that contained a memorable and satisfying goodbye.

~

The nocturnal hour begun and according to the elves this was the moment that the moon was most powerful. His comforting appearance heralded the arrival of Nienna, who would shed her curative tears.

Elladan gave Thorin a transparent flask in which he could preserve the tears. He looked a bit skeptical to the elf. He could hardly imagine that the liquid they would ensemble really had a magical power, but on the other hand the elves were not short-sighed at all and they had a wisdom that stayed hidden for many other creatures.

The elves set a hymn in motion that sounded so beautiful it caused a warm feeling in his chest, so that his plans to leave drowsed and a satisfied smile appeared on his face, while they walked behind each other in a long line, into the dark woods.

Dís walked in front of him and he could see the elf song touched her soul as well. Her sorrows glided from her shoulders, which expanded the smile on his face.

Everyone seemed to be happy for a moment. Until his eye caught Scar, who was not singing along. She had turned her face away and stared in the distance. The glance in her eyes was empty and her face showed no emotions, as if her feelings had died a long time ago, whilst there was no fire in Arda that could make her glow again.

The sight of her cold face did cool off his own warmth a little. Questions raced through his head. Why was she the only elf who was not singing? Why had she chosen for isolation, but was she walking here nonetheless with a flask in her hand?

He noticed his reveries slowed down his speed and an elf gave him a penetrating look when he stepped on Thorin's heel. Quickly he fastened his pace, but because of the thoughts about Scar he was no longer in time and suddenly he felt not so calm and happy anymore, as if he was torn loose from an enchantment, seeing the truth. A truth he could not describe in words. It was only an indeterminate feeling, while his eyes wandered to the white haired elf over and over again, with her wriggling scar and her iron-hard eyes.

. . .

DÍS

. . .