Prologue

The red carpet contrasted with the grass that surrounded them.

With a smile Dís glanced at her two sons, who ran through the grass and tried to catch butterflies. Kíll constantly fell over his own legs, but his brother helped him on his feet every time.

"It's peaceful here."

Dís turned her face away and looked at her husband. "Yes, it is."

He threw his arms around her and pressed a kiss on her hair line. Dís closed her eyes for a moment and enjoyed the warm sunbeams on her face. She loved the open air, more than she did before.

She cherished this moment, in which her family seemed free from sorrows. A lot had happened the last few years. Her homeland was burned by a dragon and they had wandered through the lands, hungry and longing for a roof over their heads. It had taken years before they found shelter in the Blue Mountains, where they tried to start a new life. There she had given birth to her two boys.

She, however, didn't know if she could stay here forever. Rumours spread that orcs were gathering, eager to capture the mountains. It was only a matter of time before they would show their faces.

She opened the basket and took a bowl with fruit. "I got something delicious for you!"

Fíli ran to her immediately, seconds later followed by his little brother, who climbed on her legs and clapped his hands.

"Tawbewwies!" he yelled and tried to stick his hand in the bowl, but Dís pulled him away laughing.

"Just wait a minute, darling." She ran her fingers through his dark hair and noticed the bowl becoming lighter. Fíli looked at her with mischievous sparkling eyes.

"'Keep something for your brother, eh!"

Fili nodded heavily. "And for mommy and daddy."

He pushed a strawberry between everyone's lips, saving two of them. "And these are for uncle Thorin and uncle Frerin!"

Famin smiled and took his son on his lap. "Keep them safe."

He laid his hand on that of Dís and for the first time in a long time she felt happy. It was a moment she embraced in her heart. On which she would fall back in darker times.

. . .

"I love you, Dís," Famin whispered when the day ended and they brought the kids to bed. He wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"I love you too."

He petted her hair. "I promise you I will always be there for you, whenever you need me."

Dís looked into his eyes and believed him.

Neither of them them could have known that Famin would break his promise before the end of the month.