Epilogue

A/N: I rearranged the chapters to make them longer. Today I also posted Elladan's POV which you can find at the end of chapter 017.

. . .

DÍS

. . .

Dís stepped through the floral archway decorating the entrance of the cave. Every time she came here, peace fell over her. It however felt relaxed nor stressed. Kíli squeezed her hand and she knew he felt it too. They were never alone here. In silence, they sat down at the table. Dís had never told her son to stay quiet; it happened naturally. Dís opened both pots of ink. One for Kíli and one for her. Fíli never came here. He mourned in his own way, by disappearing into the wilderness with one of the elves or his warg. 

For a while she watched her son from her periphery, who stared forward. Then, he suddenly picked up the dip pen and started to sketch. 

Dís rolled out her own piece of parchment. Today she would write to Thorin. She told him stories about how the boys grew up, about the modeled figures she'd sold and about Elladan and Elrohir, what she'd seen them do and about the things they talked about. While writing, a smile crossed her lips, one that wouldn't leave her face until she left.

In the beginning, she found it hard that her brother had no grave to visit. After all, his body had never been found. Elrond had shown her this place, suggesting she could commemorate him here. One of the many priceless gifts he had given to her. She wrote down memories about the old days and sent them to her brothers, parents and Famin, hoping they would read them in some way. She knew the chance that the letters were read was little, but it decreased the distance between them nevertheless. 

As always, Elrond waited outside for her. He pulled her in his arms the moment they left the cave. 

"For who did you make a drawing today?" Elrond asked Kíli, ruffling through his hair. 

"For grandpa," he said proudly. "I drew a horse and a cat. Later today I will make you a drawing too."

Elrond smiled. Dís' hand slipped into his and the three of them walked back to the palace. Each time she looked at the building, warmth filled her chest. She knew she was welcome to live there, as soon as she was ready. A moment that came closer each day. 

The end