007

. . .

DÍS

. . .

"Dís. You're ice cold."

It was true. She was cold to the bone. It felt like her skin was covered with a layer of ice and she couldn't even persuade herself to look up.

"You two have to go inside. You'll get really sick."

Dís didn't react. She was a dwarf. The cold had been omnipresent in Erebor.

Even though Dís was watching the pale tiles beneath her, she saw that Arwen crouched down in front of her and laid two warm hands on her shoulders.

The fingers of the elf lady reminded her of Famin, the only one who'd ever touched her bare skin. The straps of her dress must have glided down, but she didn't care.

What difference would it make? Her brother and son were missing.

Many had returned. Triumphant or stumbling around. Thorin hadn't been with them and it felt like history was repeating. Soon she would have to bury another loved one.

Dís couldn't bear that. She couldn't lose more people. She knew she had to stay strong for Kíli, but she had no idea how.

Arwen said no more words. The elf woman stood up and with a blank stare Dís looked up, to see how she was left again. If even Arwen wasn't able to deal with her grief, how would she ever be able to manage it herself?

Dís knew she lacked the strength to stand up. She would stay here, waiting until she'd convince Death to take her with him, to bring her back to her family. Where she belonged.

~

The cold was biting her skin. She no longer felt her fingers and toes, which she considered as a good sign. They had peace with her death. She didn't have to stay behind all alone. She had the choice to return to her parents. To her husband. To Fíli and Thorin.

No elf could speak out the words that were itching their lips. Every elf that passed by looked at her, full of pity. Sometimes tears were shining in their eyes, knowing they neither would be able to bear her pain.

They weren't the only ones who felt sorry for her. Even though the tears seemed to have frozen in her own eyes, the heavens were crying with her. Rain drops were soaking her, ever since the moment she'd dropped down here. The heavens told her what the elves couldn't and they wept for the loss of two lives that had meant so much to her.

~

Lately Dís had been trying to learn some Sindarin, but she'd failed this far. Laments arose around her, but she couldn't find out who'd set the tone. Without understanding the words, Dís knew they regretted the end of this night. Nienna had disappointed them, like every god that feigned to care about them. Dís closed her eyes, convinced the magical melodies would lead her to the realm of the dead. Where Famin was waiting for her.

A smile appeared around her lips when she felt two warm arms that were lifting her up, higher and higher. She however panicked when her son was pulled out of her arms. She opened her eyes in shock. It wasn't a supernatural force that had lifted her up, it was Elrohir. His forehead was bleeding and his dark hair was soaked, but his eyes were alert and worried. His arm slid underneath her knees so she felt like a little child, but for a while that was all she wanted. She saw Arwen had taken care of Kíli and she closed her eyes, tired, while Elrohir carried her through the rain and climbed the stairs, until they were greeted by the warmth of the royal palace.