Chapter Thirty-Three

There is no sign of Adam for a week now and it has put me on edge. I can barely sleep. But I still have to go to school and take exams and do my homework. My friends all offered to be by my side to protect me but I declined. I can't put them in danger too. I did, however, appreciate it and their help in keeping my mind off of Crazy Adam.

Its Friday now. And as I walk home from school I feel a presence. And like someone is watching me. I try to shake off the feeling but it's impossible. If it's Adam; I'm ready. I've never felt more ready in my life. I'm ready for him to pay back for what he's done.

I turn a corner and wait for my attacker. I manage to punch him hard at his jaw and I'm ready to pummel him before I realize it's just Chase.

"What the frick Chase! You scared me!"

"I'm sorry! I knew you wouldn't want me by your side so I had to follow you around. And, OW!" He rubbed his jaw and made a face in pain. "That was a mean punch."

"I'm sorry. But my house is right there. You can go home. I promise I'm safe. I always carry my pepper spray. I have a bat at home. And I have a knife under my pillow if it becomes that extreme. I even have these rings on for when we fight." I show him the rings that I wear on all fingers. "I'm OK! OK?" I didn't wait for a response. "Please go home Chase."

The truth is this is my battle that I have to fight on my own. And Chase has already helped so much. I don't want him fighting my battles. I don't want him to get hurt too. Adam is all mine to handle. My responsibility. I don't want others getting involved. And I can take him down anyway. The day the cops left and told my mom and I to stay put and call them when I see Adam, for some odd reason I thought of my painting of the birds. Of how the bird was stuck in place and how I don't want to be that bird stuck on my painting. I want to fly.

Chase didn't respond. He kept looking at me worriedly."

"Fine. You can come in for a minute but then you leave. Be with your family. Stop worrying about me."

"Fine. OK."

"OK."

We both made our way to my house. With my keys I opened the door to my empty home. My mom is at work; going about her usual routine. The cops who are supposed to keep on a look out on my house are parked right across the street in a gray minivan so they don't look suspicious.

"See? No danger here."

"I'm going to check upstairs." I rolled my eyes and followed him as he inspected every room. No Adam. No Adam. No Adam. And nope, still no Adam.

"Happy now?"

"I'm sorry that I worry about my girlfriend and want to keep her safe."

I softened up and kiss Chase. "I'm sorry. It's just that you being worried makes me think he is a real threat and that scares me."

"He is a threat."

"Wow thanks,"I say sarcastically.

"No problem."

"But really, thank you; for caring so much. I love you."

"I love you too, Diane. Stay safe." He kisses my forehead before walking out and leaving me alone in the house.

I sigh. Maybe Adam won't come out today. The house is as quiet as a silent movie.

I lay down on my bed. There's nothing to worry about I say to myself. I can just take a nap.

"I thought he'd never leave. Now it's time to play."

My eyes widen in surprise as Adam approaches me like I'm his prey and I slowly back up on my bed, my hand discreetly reaching for the knife I keep under my pillow. But I think Adam notices because soon he grabs my hand to review the knife I'm grabbing onto so hard that my knuckles turn white. But I can't show this fear. Fear is weakness.