Golden Egg

Nico's POV:

The years following the war with Gaea, things were mostly calmed down. There were, of course, horrid memories and nightmares for more demigods than not. But even if things would never get completely better and the losses would always hurt, everyone gradually began to heal.

Now here we are, 6 years later.

We all still missed the firebug, Leo, but we just had to accept that he knew what he was doing and that his decisions were based on what he really wanted.

Piper and Jason got married and had a little girl who they adored. They had named her Lena and she's barely 3. Admitted, she was a beautiful child with brown hair like her mother's and electric blue eyes like her father's.

Hazel and Frank were still only dating but everyone was expecting a rather shy and blushy proposal from Frank within the year, at least.

Percy and Annabeth had indeed gone off to New Rome for a few years and Annabeth managed to get a degree. But, Percy came back to camp without Annabeth. They just fell out of love and their lives were going in different directions.

Annabeth and Reyna had gotten together a few months ago. Personally, I thought they were really good for each other. People were a bit surprised but welcomed it completely. Annabeth had aspirations on becoming mayor of New Rome.

And, after about 6 months of being back at camp without Annabeth, Percy had tentatively asked me to go to dinner with him at his mom's house. He had clarified, saying it was indeed a date of sorts.

Being with Percy wasn't how I expected it to be, of course. We'd gotten in some fights and taken a few breaks but we managed to work past our problems. I was still an aggressive little shit, but around Percy I was finally able to let my gaurd down and smile.

The same year we got together, Percy had convinced Chiron to start doing things more frequently for the demigods who had seen all the terror before even hitting puberty. And, generally, everyone agreed.

It'd be a good tradition to start, because no matter who the parents were, every child deserved a childhood.

So today we'd be attending an Easter Egg Hunt. The second annual, I might add. Last year's was clumsy and unorganized and at the end of the day we ended up scrapping the egg hunt and just giving the kids candy in little cheesy bags.

But Percy was determined. We do learn from our mistakes, he'd said.

I was sorta upset, at first. Getting up before noon wasn't on the top of my interest list, but seeing Percy interact with all the young children warmed my heart and sent a chill down my spine all at the same time.

"Alright! Kids- take your place. Ready... set... GO!" Annabeth had taken to be quite useful, with her authoritative qualities.

Watching the kids search the Capture the Flag perimeter for plastic, candy-filled eggs, my eyes still sought out Percy. He was walking crouched down by one of the younger Hermes' kids, pointing at places she should check to help her get a better outcome.

His eyes darted up and locked with mine and a light brushing of pink dusted my cheekbones. Percy beamed at me and waved so enthusiastically that I turned around to see if maybe he was aiming that adoration at someone else. Still, I couldn't believe he would actually love me back.

I hid my smile with the back of my hand as Percy winked at me and then moved on to help other young kids on their 'quest'.

***

Hours later and the kids were sitting in the dining pavilion munching on some cute themed cookies and of course a few chocolate bunnies had found their way around.

Older demigods were hovering like mad making sure everything was in order. It was kind of really endearing to see everyone fawn over the younger children.

Since a lot of the kids were still put off by my aura of death and my terrifying heritage, I had opted to stay to the side.

There was a faint sound of technical feed and most of the people turned to the front to see Percy and Annabeth standing before all the tables, Annabeth with a mic in her hand. "You all did great! Did you have fun?" an uproar of applause. "As discussed, we're giving a chores pardon to the kid who recovered the most eggs. The pardon from one week of chores goes to... Amanda Rhines- Apollo cabin! Congrats, sweetie!". A little girl about 7 years old looked so happy to win and it was truly understood why Percy was so eager to go through with all of this. It was sweet.

Amanda went up and formally shook Annabeth's hand and the older people were holding back giggles. Then she rushed over and hugged Percy, Her head even with his ribs. He looked suprised but lifted her and spun around a few times, lifting her spirits impossibly more. I don't blame her for wanting to hug Percy. He really is irresistible. 

Then Annabeth spoke up again. "But Percy also has a gift to give away. A special golden egg for someone important to him. " I furrowed my eyebrows as she handed the mic over to Seaweed Brain. He hadn't mentioned a golden egg. 

He cleared his throat and began speaking. "Thanks Annabeth... Um, yeah. This person really deserves to be honored and it's for much more than winning an Easter Egg Hunt. He's really special to me and I can't believe how much he's been through. I want to give him an opportunity to be happy and peaceful. To give him a better life, where he can finally settle down and start something real..." he laughed nervously and Annabeth handed him the egg. It was the same as all the other eggs from today, the only difference being that this one was, as mentioned, gold.

And he threw the egg right at me. I was shocked and barely managed to catch it. I looked down at the egg for a few seconds and then lifted my gaze to Percy, raising an eyebrow. He smiled at me warmly and mouthed, "Open it."

I flashed my gaze over towards Jason, where he sat by Lena with a napkin in his hand attempting to clean the child's face. He gave me a not so subtle thumbs up and I scoffed. 

Then my was attention was on the golden egg again.

Biting my lip, I gently squeezed the bottom of the half of the egg to pop the halves apart. There was cheesy fake grass surrounding a ring. The ring was a thin band with a dark blue gem, almost black. It was stunning. I licked my lips, a nervous habit of mine, and looked back up to Percy.

His smile was completely sweet and genuine and he was sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck with stiff posture. Even after all this time, Percy Jackson still took my breath away with a simple glance. A smile slowly found it's way onto my face and I raised an eyebrow at him once again.

He grinned at me and shuffled his way over. I noticed everyone's eyes on me and looked at the ground biting my lip until I felt Percy's warm fingers tangle with my own. He looked at me while holding my left hand in both of his, keeping eye contact for a few seconds before slowly getting down onto one knee. His eyes never left mine.

"Marry me, Nico?"

Well duh. I beamed. This cheesy dork is gonna be mine for the rest of our lives... and I can't wait.

[A/N:] I've been writing this for a long-ass time. It seemed like a good idea at the start, but now I hate it. But I'll publish it anyway! The end was obviously rushed because bleh. darkreader1108 has better oneshots so go there. I'll continue writing and hopefully procrastinate less... Also, you should join the #percico group on KIK. I'm in it c; 

AND THANKS FOR GIVING MY CRAP WRITING OVER 1K READS. ILY.