Chapter 9

My eyes flew open to the sound of my alarm. I turned it off, and leaped out of bed. I got ready, ate breakfast, and stepped in my car.

I drove to Michelle's house to pick her up.

"Hi, Iqra!" Michelle said as she sat down in the passenger seat.

"Hey Michelle." I greeted her.

We drove to school, and I parked my car. We entered the school, and walked down the hall.

I noticed Imraan's group of friends talking at their lockers. They were playing pool with Imraan at the party.

Michelle walked up to them, and butt her head inside the crowd.

"Where is Imraan?" Michelle asked them.

"Does it look like we know? He's probably not here today, and why are you asking?" One of the boys said. " Do you like him? Ha you probably do. Now get away from here!" He pushed Michelle away.

" You snotty boy!" Michelle said, and pretended to spit on him.

Michelle walked back to me, still looking back at the boys with a disgusted expression.

"Why would you ask that?" I said when Michelle approached me.

"I wanted to talk about the party with Imraan." Michelle answers.

"Michelle, you need to understand that he doesn't want to talk about it!" I said.

"Ugh, fine." Michelle scrunched her nose as if she was smelling a bad smell. She turned around, and walked to her locker.

I feel like since the party, Michelle has been very rude, and unmannerly. She might be drinking more.

But that's not what I have to worry about. Imraan didn't come to school. Was he just trying to avoid everyone? Or me? It's very strange.

I opened my locker, and grabbed all the books that I need. I walked to my first class. The teacher was late, so I just sat down, and read a book, The One and Only Ivan. It was one of my favourites.

A group of girls were giggling at a desk. They were crowded around a phone.

" Look at her comment!" One laughs. "'This party was something I would definitely NOT let my child go to. Where are her parents?' Haha!"

I infer that she was reading a comment off a post.

"Look, she even tagged some of her mom friends!" Another girl added.

I rolled my eyes. They were obviously talking about the party that Isabella had. And a mom that commented on it.

The day went fast, and soon enough, I was home.

Ammi was chatting with Hajra and Sidra on Skype. 

" Ammi, are you sure he's doing ok?" I heard Hajra say. 

" He's fine." Ammi replied. " I gave him his medicine, and he's asleep."

I walked to the living room where Ammi was sitting on the couch.

"Assalamu Alaikum!" I smiled, and sat down, next to her. " Salam, Aapa, and Sidra!"

" Salam, Iqra." Hajra said. " Abbu is very sick. He has a really high temperature."

"He does?" I interrupted.

"Yes, and you and Ammi need to take care of him." Hajra said.

"Yes, I will." I  nodded my head.

My phone beeped, indicating my text from Michelle telling me to go to the mall.

" I'm gonna go to the mall with Michelle now." I stood up. " Allah Hafiz."