Chapter 2

I texted Michelle to meet at the food court in the mall. She agreed. I got up from my bed, and started rummaging in my closet for clothes to wear. I found a nice short dress with sleeves up to my elbows. I wore blue denim jeans under. I would never wear only a dress. Not when I'm trying to impress Imraan, that I'm the perfect Muslimah he could ever lay his eyes on. I wrapped a silky black hijab tight around my head, and stuck a pin to hold it in place.

I put on blue flats with sparkles, grabbed my purse and headed to my car. I drove to the mall, and hurried inside, due to the rain pouring down on me. I entered the mall, cold and wet. I walked to the washroom to dry myself up. As I came out of the washroom, checking my phone for texts, when I bumped into someone.

"Oh, sorry mister." I said, trying to hurry to the food court. But the man stopped me. I didn't even see who he was.

" Iqra?" I heard a familiar voice. It was Imraan!

" I'm so sorry Imraan!" I said, sounding more sorry than I actually was.

" It's okay, Iqra." Imraan said. Should I even be this close to a guy? " So, what are you doing here?"

"Hmm?" I said, lost in thought. " Oh! I'm just going to shop with Michelle."

"Okay." Replied Imraan walking away. " I'll see you in school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, okay." I said, dazed.

I silently squealed. As I jumped around with joy, I bumped into someone else. Not again?! But this time, it was Michelle.

"Iqra? Where have you been?" Michelle interrupted my silent squeals. " I have been looking for you!"

" Whatever." I said. " Now lets go shopping."

We went store to store, amazed at all the beautiful dresses I loved, but could not buy, because it would be showing my body which would be totally haram. Michelle, on the other hand, bought the dresses that I wanted. Only, for herself. My mood saddened at the sight of the lady at the cash register, putting the dresses in a bag and handing it to Michelle.

Michelle noticed my mood. " Aw, Iqra. I'm sorry you can't buy these dresses, but its haroom, isn't it?"

I chuckled at her attempt of saying the word. " It's pronounced haram, Michelle."

" Whoops." She said, laughing at herself.

After two hours of non-stop shopping, we sat at the food court.

" Im gonna go get some burgers from Burger King, okay?" I told Michelle.

Michelle nodded, and I walked to Burger King, which is built in at the food court. As I was standing in line, I turned to see the table we were sitting on. A man was in my chair, talking to Michelle. he was a young man, in his twenties maybe. They were laughing it off. That's when I saw Michelle twirling her hair with her finger. Apparently girls do that to flirt. Was she trying to flirt with him? She was  non Muslim, anyway. Then Michelle brought her chair closer to the man. He did too. Soon, they were about five inches apart. 

I turned around, and noticed there was a big gap in front of me. I quickly ran back to my spot. I bought the veggie burger for both of us, as it was halal. I walked to the counter where you put your trays. I wanted to see what Michelle would do. I pretended to examine the burger, so it wouldn't be so obvious I was spying.

Michelle and the man kept chatting. They were still very close. Suddenly the man took both of Michelle's hand into his. I saw the shocked look on Michelle's face. It slowly turned into happiness. That was enough. I started walking to our table. When I was still far from them, Michelle glanced at me. Then she got up, and the man followed. They both hugged, and I stopped in my steps. I got even more surprised when the man kissed her cheek. Michelle kissed him back. I just had to look away, even if it was on the cheek. What was Michelle doing with a man she doesn't even know? Or I think she doesn't know him, considering Michelle tells me everything.

I walked to Michelle, as the man strolled away. When I sat down on the chair, Michelle was still staring at the back of his head, not realizing I was now there.

" Uh, hello?" I said, trying to snap Michelle back into reality.

" Oh, hi Iqra." Michelle said, still not looking at me.

I glanced at the man Michelle was staring at. He blew her a kiss. I made a secret disgusted face, and turned my attention to my burger. Michelle blew him a kiss back. Not only that, she winked  at him! I have never been more disgusted with Michelle. I picked up her burger from the tray, and set it in front of her. Still longing in the man's apparently, good looking eyes. I opened the wrapping for her. Still not noticed. I gently pushed Michelle.

" Michelle?!" I said. " Uh, helloo?"

" Oh!! Oh. I'm so sorry Iqra!" Michelle turned to me. " Heh, I guess I just got a new crush."

" Do you even know that guy?!" I asked.

" Well, he's my friend's cousin. I met him when I was at her house." Michelle stared back at the man, who was now eating KFC chicken.

" Okay..." I said, still cautious of Michelle.

We ate our burgers, and headed back home. I had bought five items. When I got in my room, I took the items out of the bag. Hmm. Okay, so two headscarves, one blazer, and two summer dresses. Pretty good. I'll wear the blazer tomorrow.

The next morning, I woke up by my alarm. I quickly turned it off, and got ready for school. I greeted my parents, sister, and niece, then went to school. Hajra was already married and doesn't have to go to school anymore. Sidra was on school vacation. I hopped in my car, and drove to Michelle's house. I picked her up at the front of her house. We then drove to school.

I parked the car in the school parking lot. I walked inside with Michelle, and went up to my locker. I set the combination, and opened it.

" Okay, I'll see you at lunch" Michelle said, walking to her own locker.

I took my binders, and headed off to my first class. As soon as I walked inside, I heard the words party, going, dress, and boys. I walked by the group of girls, trying to eavesdrop.

" So are you going?" A girl named Gabriella said.

" Yeah, I'm going. Are you?" Another girl, Emma said.

" Of course!" Gabriella exclaimed. " We all are. So what dress are you gonna wear?"

" Something that shows off my body, of course." Another girl named Ivy, bragged.

" Who wouldn't wear something that shows off their body? They need to impress the boys." Emma said.

I've heard enough. I get disgusted by how inappropriate these girls are. I'm not gonna go. I'm not gonna show off my body, or anything. Very haram.

I sat down in my seat, and started reading my math textbook.

Lunch finally came, and I made my way to the hall me, Michelle, and our other friend, Julie sit at. I sat down, resting my back against the lockers. Michelle and Julie arrived and we started talking.

" Hey, have you heard about a party?" I asked.

" Oh yeah! Isabella is having a party at her place, and everyone in the school  is invited. Even some people out of school. Don't you know?" Michelle said.

" I heard some girls talking about it." I replied. " Soo, are you guys going?"

" Uhh, yeah! Duh! People are saying it's gonna be the party of the year!" Julie told me.

" Well I'm not going." I said, breaking their excitement.

" Why?" Said Michelle, disappointed. " You have to!"

" Michelle, you know it's haram."

" Come on, come on come on come on!!!!" Michelle begged me.

"No. Just...no."

" Please!? I'll keep an eye on the people near you, okay? I'll keep an eye on you! I'll make sure, nothing happens to you. I promise." Michelle rested her hand on her chest. " You haven't ever been to a party! Just go. One time, and that's it!"

With those two begging me like hobo's, I couldn't take it.

" Fine!" I shouted.

Both of them jumped with joy. Then they started talking about what they're gonna wear.

What have I done?!