Chapter 14

All the bleachers are filled up in the gym and I am so excited because this is the first game I will be cheering at. I did have to beg Britney to cheer at this game because she said I just learned the cheers, and my stunting is bad, and that it might ruin the halftime routine.

But everyone on the team backed me up when I said I'm ready, so she couldn't really say no.

So the basketball players are in the locker room, while me and my cheer teammates stretch and socialize.

This is the first time I got to wear my blue and white cheer uniform. I officially feel apart of the team.

About ten minutes later the basketball players finally start rushing out of the locker room and start practicing shooting while us cheerleaders cheer them on.

Everyone cheers for Cameron because he is the schools best player. I never seen him play yet, but by everything that everyone has been telling me he is scholarship worthy. I'm not that surprised considering his dad is the coach. He was probably bred to play basketball.

He is only a junior but everyone says he's going to go professional when he gets older.

I then see him start shooting some hoops from half court and I already know he's really good. As he was catching the rebound of a shot our eyes met and I quickly look away remembering what he did to Scott.

I am woken up from my daze when I hear the loud buzzer indicating the game is about to start.

During the first quarter the score board states we are up by six. Most of our points came from Cameron of course.

Now since I've seen him play I realize why every girl wants him. I've seen him a couple times wink at some cheerleaders and then see them blush. The way Britney talks about him at cheer practice makes them sound like a couple. I just think Cameron is not boyfriend material.

The only thing bad I notice about Cam when he plays is he is a ball hog. If there's a shot open he takes it instead of passing it to someone else who is closer and wide open.

It's finally the second quarter and I see Scott finally get put in. All the cheerleaders start cheering "Foster! Foster!"

And the look on Cameron's face was priceless. He looked so annoyed and it looked like someone gave him an adrenalin shot because he worked even harder to get and shoot the ball.

I got really annoyed when I saw what Cam was doing when he got the ball. I hear Scott clearly yelling "Watters!" He had an open shot and Cameron refused to pass to him.

I thought to myself "Okay whatever he's mad at him" but every time Scott yelled for the ball no one passed it to him. I understand what they're doing.

Everyone could hear Coach Watters screaming "Pass to Foster!" But no one listened.

Coach Watters called a timeout and when they were huddled I was close so I could hear exactly what they were saying.

I hear Scott yelling at Cameron "Pass the ball to me!"

And Cameron replying "Then get open!"

And Coach Watters cutting them off and saying "Cameron you're doing fine just pass the ball and let someone else shoot."

They all yell "Break!" And get back on the court.

Scott looks really good getting back on the court and I remember he has a girlfriend. I try to figure out who she is and wonder if she's a cheerleader or if she's in the stands.

I stop staring out into space and get back to cheering "GO BULLDOGS!"

Cameron and the rest of the team are still not passing to Scott and I see Scott getting really frustrated.

Then I see that a guy with the last name "Green" on the back of his jersey gets into a situation where Cameron is not open and the only guy who was open was Scott.

He keeps the ball and just waits for someone else to get open, but no one was. Coach Watters and the whole crowd are yelling "PASS TO FOSTER!"

And that's exactly what he does. He passes the ball to Foster and all the cheerleaders start cheering as well as all the people in the stands.

Then all of a sudden Cameron runs into Scott and knocks him over. The time stops and the people in the stands start to boo. Everyone knows he did that on purpose. He is really not being a team player.

The gym gets silent for a split second and all anyone heard was Coach Watters yelling "Watters take a seat!"

Cameron runs over to his dad and says "Coach I didn't mean to."

Coach Watters responses by saying "Sit!" While pointing to the bench.

Then all of a sudden Coach yells "Foster you're point guard!" And puts another player in to take Scott's last spot.

You can see how mad Cam is just by looking at him.

Scott is good at point guard but the other team is catching up and everyone in the stands are starting to chant "PUT WATTERS IN!"

The coach keeps refusing until we are behind by 8 points. Cameron knows he is going to get put back in so he just waits. He drinks some water and gets ready. You can see him getting mentally prepared. He looks like all he is thinking about is basketball.

Finally Coach Watters unwillingly says "Watters." And gestures towards the court. And that's all Cam needed and he takes off his basketball windbreaker and gets back on the court.

Cam gestures to Scott for the ball and Scott goes back to his other position and the bulldogs make a come back with the help of Cameron. I don't like Cameron but I can say he is really good at basketball.

It is finally the end of the second quarter and time for the halftime cheer routine. I am really excited and nervous at the same time. Of course since I begged Britney to be in it she said I have to do my full. I'm still working on it and sometimes don't land it.

I think she is hoping the pressure makes me nervous and fall on my face. I'm starting to think maybe that will happen.

So the whole cheer team gets in their spots and I know we are about to start.

I just look at my dad in the stands with his phone recording me and all the the nerves and stress just go away.

My dad comes to all my games and competitions unless something work related comes up. If he misses a competition I don't mind because I know if he could come he would. When he's not there though it just feels different.

I get ready for the tumbling portion of the cheer routine. It starts with my head facing down and my arms at my side.

I hear the music start and that's when I know to start my double back handspring. It is all uphill from there. I hit all my jumps and my stunts are perfect.

Only one stunt in the back fell. The stunt group catch the flyer and keep going.

When it is the last minute of the routine I know it is time for my full. Since it is in the routine I don't really have time to get mentally prepared. I just have to go and hope for the best.

I know it is time to slap my hands and start running. So I'm in the air and all I see is faces in the crowd as I twist my body and... land. I landed my full and freeze in my ending pose on the floor. I guess when I really have to land it, I do.

I am so proud of myself and everyone starts clapping and I jump up and me, Maddy, and Liv hug each other and they congratulate me.

Liv says "Oh my gosh it was perfect!"

And Maddy agrees and says "Some guy was staring at you the whole time. Hubba hubba."

I laugh and push her shoulder "Who was it Cameron?" And roll my eyes.

She then says "No the blonde over there." And gestures her head.

I look to see who she is talking about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Author's note)- comment thoughts.