Almost Friends

I awoke the next day feeling refreshed and quite happy. I glanced at the clock and face-palmed.

5:00 AM.

I huffed and rolled over, trying to close my eyes. I still had four hours until class started. I sighed.

Gosh, it's so early.

I'm tired.

I stood up and trudged to the bathroom, putting a silencing charm on the shower, and took a shower. I hopped out when I finished and face-palmed again.

"Accio Clothes!" I said, waving my wand.

A dress.

Seriously?

There is no way I'm wearing a dress.

Absolutely no w- Ah forget it.

I slid the dress on and looked in the mirror, shaking my head. I left the bathroom and looked through my suitcase, pulling out my shoes. I slid them on and walked downstairs with a yawn, although I didn't feel tired at all.

"Good morning, Gracie,"

I looked at the Common Room couch to see Sirius, smirking at me. I smiled at him and sat down, staring at the fire.

"Why are you up so early?" He asked.

"Because, Sirius-" I tried to think of some smart reply, but came up blank. "I don't know,"

Sirius laughed.

"Why are you up this early? Never would have thought I'd live to the day I would see Sirius Black up at five in the morning,"

He rolled his eyes.

"Pr-James kept snoring," He said, shaking his head.

"Tell me about it," I laughed, shaking my head with a smile, "He sounds like an elephant."

Sirius chuckled.

"I keep forgetting you live with us. You don't really do anything,"

I shrugged and looked into his stormy grey eyes.

"I keep to myself. Most of the time," I said with a grin, remembering how much we bickered when I first got here.

Sirius snorted.

"More like a third of the time," He said, beaming.

I smiled at him.

"Amazing how far we've come, from bickering, to first name basis, and to almost friends."

Sirius looked offended.

"Almost friends?" He huffed.

I laughed.

"Yes, almost friends."

He crossed his arms and glared at the ceiling.

"Don't be like that, Sirius." I said.

Sirius glared.

Meanie.

"Siriusss." I whined.

He still glared. I crossed my arms and looked away. Sirius rolled his eyes and hugged me from behind.

"Forgive me?" He pouted.

I looked at him and tapped my finger on my chin, making it look like I was thinking.

"Fine."

His eyes lit up and he grinned at me. I laughed and hugged him. We stood up together and went to the Great Hall for breakfast. I smiled at him and he smiled back. We sat down, and piled food on our plates. I glanced up at him. He was staring at me. I blushed and he shook his head, mumbling a 'sorry'.

I grinned and grabbed like, two dozen pieces of bacon. Sirius raised an eyebrow.

"How are you not fat?"

"I dunno." I shrugged.

He shook his head with a laugh, smiling. We sat there, just talking, and before we knew it, students were piling it at 8:00 AM to eat breakfast. I smiled and waved at Sirius to go sit with Lily. He grinned crookedly and waved back as I sat down next to Lily. I grinned at her.

"Where were you?"

I rolled my eyes.

"With Sirius."

"Where, with Sirius?"

"In the Common Room."

"Doing?"

"Talking,"

She nodded and turned to her food. Her meal was so small it was like the size of my finger.

"All you have is eggs and bacon!"

"That's all I need," She said.

"No!"

"Yes!"

"NO!"

"YES!"

"NO!"

"YES!"

"You win." I grumbled.

She grinned at me and, right as she finished, the bell rang. I walked with her to Transfiguration and sat down next to Sirius. Lily sat down next to James, much to her dismay. I grinned at her.

"Get ready for a lesson full of bickering," Sirius whispered in my ear.

I laughed quietly, shaking my head.

"They're impossible,"

"Tell me about it," He muttered.

Lily glared at me and I waved innocently. She knew I had taken the seat next to Sirius on purpose.

"Oi, Lils, tell James 'Your welcome'!"

Lily glared again and turned to James.

"Gracie says your welcome," She grumbled.

James turned to me, eyes lit up.

'Thanks!' He mouthed.

I beamed and gave him thumbs-up.

"You have my blessing!" I whispered.

James rolled his eyes and smiled slightly. He turned to Lily, probably babbling about Quidditch.

'I hate you!' She mouthed.

I grinned.

'No you don't!'

She huffed and crossed her arms as Professor McGonagall walked in.

Sirius grinned at me and threw a balled up piece of parchment at her. I gaped as it hit her square in the face. I bit my lip to hold in my laughter. I turned red with the effort, and then, when she spluttered, I burst out laughing.

"Dumbledore! Black"

I tried to pull myself together.

"Yes, Professor?" I choked out.

"Detention! This Friday!"
"Hope you're happy to spend more time with me!" I grinned.

Sirius and I high-fived.

She sighed and shook her head, looking at the rest of the class.

"Merlin, help me," She sighed.

*~*~*